Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is yours expert opinion about it. My expert opinion is that no way my concrete 58 story building would sit at friction posts in some mud.
Edit. Of course developer is safe. That is most important in this country. He sold all units already. When need he will declare bankruptcy.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If they will allow entry I would like to go there to see cracks in garage. Cracks around building in pavements look impressive.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,162 Posts
They sure will. Pilings typically way outperform their designed loads. Somebody goofed somewhere for it to be sinking.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They sure will. Pilings typically way outperform their designed loads. Somebody goofed somewhere for it to be sinking.
Engineers there tried something new. Building a heavy building and really at friction in mud. Structural engineers get 5 awards for that new approach. That building is 5 time heavier then next one build at friction piles in that area.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I'm somewhat obsessed with this. And that at multiple level.
First engineering. Poor guys try something new. I try all time. Problem structural engineering is not exact science for difference of electrical engineering. You can not build wrong building or dam to prove it is wrong. We have lot of structural formulas but they are just guessing in big part.
Second. In structural things 2+2=6. If you frame townhouse roof that is 5 times longer then regular roof you need 10 times more bracing. Don't ask me how I know. I sow like dose times at news how some big roof frame collapsed when build buy carpenters.
At SF building I guess engineers calculated 5 times more load lets go set 5 times more piles. That just do not work so and is completely in guessing area for structural engineers, me and anyone at planet. If you say they can test in lab I just laugh at you. Yes if lab model is 58 story tall building.
Now imagine bros that will have to go down to footing and lift that building with hydraulic. Nobody can say me that it can be done safely.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
^^^ Actually nobody is guilty. City knew even before building was open that it was sinking. Developer can not be guilty any way. All engineers claim they are responsible for above structure not for footings.
It was well known that building was sinking BEFORE any across street work was done. But mark my words developer has money. Lawyer, judge, and anyone who need will be greased properly. Fixing will be paid by SF.

·
test
3,333 Posts
The build was sinking before completion they are saying, should there have been some kind of disclosure by the developer selling the condos? could have been sold out before construction even finished I guess.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The build was sinking before completion they are saying, should there have been some kind of disclosure by the developer selling the condos? could have been sold out before construction even finished I guess.
Nop they knew, they are and city and developer, before any unit was sold that building was sinking. Again city give residential permit. Buyers was simply cheated and it is all. Take time and read about it. Therefore it is so fascinating story to me. City and developers risk life of thousands of people at purpose.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
some sinking was anticipated, I don't remember the exact amount, the problem is it has sunk more than anticipated and has a lean

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
some sinking was anticipated, I don't remember the exact amount, the problem is it has sunk more than anticipated and has a lean
In video said 4-5" over 100 years is normal. But definitely it will bi spin for lawyers and corrupt judge. Judge will say to residents in face "building suppose to sink and there is not established line how much, case closed". Actually I think that residents can not do nothing.

·
test
3,333 Posts
looks like its taking its toll on the concrete foundation. wont be long before the condo fees skyrocket if not already. SELL SELL SELL SELL

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Wow, first I'm hearing of this...crazy.

Some articles explains the error in not going into bedrock at 200' and settling for compacted sand at 80'; big mistake by San Fran allowing this.

Also, the earthquake element to the Bay Area may one day level this building. Worst part is it's leaning directly towards another building which is beginning construction. Imagine if 2 years from now this thing topples over due to an earthquake unsettling the ground underneath and it falls over into the neighboring building? It would be 9/11 level fatalities all over with thousands killed instantly.

From what I've binge read in the last 30 minutes, this is going to get worse in the next 10 years. I don't think there is much engineers can do to stop this from continuing. Tough break for the buyers, their condo values have plummeted since this came up.

I'll be following this going forward. Thanks for the heads up, Tipi.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
^^^ You have point. Who will buy apartments in next building that they build now if Millenium tower is tilting toward them?
Yeah interesting part of this is it will make news probably for decades to come.

http://abc7news.com/realestate/$56m-millennium-tower-condo-for-sale-its-visual-and-financial-vertigo/3144899/

Look at 17 sec of video. I can see clearly that front face of building is twisted. You will have to do copy paste of address.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
^^^ You have point. Who will buy apartments in next building that they build now if Millenium tower is tilting toward them?
Yeah interesting part of this is it will make news probably for decades to come.

http://abc7news.com/realestate/$56m-millennium-tower-condo-for-sale-its-visual-and-financial-vertigo/3144899/

Look at 17 sec of video. I can see clearly that front face of building is twisted. You will have to do copy paste of address.
Good catch, sure looks like it in the video. Could be an illusion due to the angle of the drone looking down and to the left but knowing what we know about it, I'd say it looks like that because it's leaning hard.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts