Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting a remodel for a bathroom in a basement, and the sewage pump apparently took a crap (pun intended) some time ago. Luckily, the pit is dry as the bathroom has been demoed and unusable by the HO for over a year. I 'm going to replace the pump, check valve, and sump alarm to get this resolved so I can run the water in the basement.

My three questions are:
1. Where's the best spot to drill the anti-airlock hole in relation to the pump discharge? (i.e., how far above the discharge?)

2. The check-valve is old and is getting replaced along with the pump. While the pit is dry, should I take the opportunity to clean or replace anything else, particularly anything that might have dried out in the last year?

3. The sump alarm is also looking pretty rough and is going to need replacing. The cord for the old switch was taped to the discharge pipe. When I put the new one in, where should the alarm switch be (e.g., the top of the pump? higher?)

Any other suggestions on things to watch out for before I pick up the new pump (planning on using a Ridgid SEP-500 1/2HP pump) would be appreciated. The discharge line is 2" ABS.

Thanks in advance,
-Duck042

·
The Grand Wazoo
3,973 Posts
I'm starting a remodel for a bathroom in a basement, and the sewage pump apparently took a crap (pun intended) some time ago. Luckily, the pit is dry as the bathroom has been demoed and unusable by the HO for over a year. I 'm going to replace the pump, check valve, and sump alarm to get this resolved so I can run the water in the basement.

My three questions are:
1. Where's the best spot to drill the anti-airlock hole in relation to the pump discharge? (i.e., how far above the discharge?)

2. The check-valve is old and is getting replaced along with the pump. While the pit is dry, should I take the opportunity to clean or replace anything else, particularly anything that might have dried out in the last year?

3. The sump alarm is also looking pretty rough and is going to need replacing. The cord for the old switch was taped to the discharge pipe. When I put the new one in, where should the alarm switch be (e.g., the top of the pump? higher?)

Any other suggestions on things to watch out for before I pick up the new pump (planning on using a Ridgid SEP-500 1/2HP pump) would be appreciated. The discharge line is 2" ABS.

Thanks in advance,
-Duck042
I'd make sure the hole was drilled so that it is below the cover of the pit, if it is above the cover you have to get out the mop everytime the pump cycles.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd make sure the hole was drilled so that it is below the cover of the pit, if it is above the cover you have to get out the mop everytime the pump cycles.
:laughing:

Is anywhere along the pipe below the pit level the same as another or is there an optimal place to drill it?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts