Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I opened the floor of the 100 year old house I'm remodeling to see why the kitchen floor is sagging and find this
they cut all the way through the rim joist not once but twice. It took me a while to wrap my head around this and it's consequences. But I've concluded this is why this corner of the house has sunk an inch and three quarters. I've seen a lot of goofy **** in this house but this takes the cake. I haven't done much renovating, only the past year or so, I previously did new construction, so I'm curious if anyone has encountered something like this, and what they did, if anything.

Thanks

·
Registered
591 Posts
A cut rim joist normally won’t affect the house,except in very odd situations. You picture doesn’t show the problem very clearly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A cut rim joist normally won’t affect the house,except in very odd situations. You picture doesn’t show the problem very clearly.
It's run down the middle of the house like you would with a girder beam but the joists are flush with it and notched over a 2 by 4. So it's severed at one end and sitting on the top plate of a 4 inch wall in the basement. So it and every joist attached on that end have sagged whether it be from the wall below warping or shifting over the years or from the slab itself pulling away since the wall is anchored to it. It took me a while to think about it and realize this is what happened. I'm sure the guy who did it thought it would be okay since it was over a top plate and the wall could support it. But that thinking was obviously busted

·
Registered
193 Posts
Plumbers in the old days loved to cut out all floor supports in baths kitchens etc. I sometimes think that they took bets on how long the homes would last before collapsing. Hopefully building inspections stopped all this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Plumbers in the old days loved to cut out all floor supports in baths kitchens etc. I sometimes think that they took bets on how long the homes would last before collapsing. Hopefully building inspections stopped all this.

ha I guess 40 or 50 years ain't a bad score. At least thats how long it took for someone to notice yay me

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
42,895 Posts
ha I guess 40 or 50 years ain't a bad score. At least thats how long it took for someone to notice yay me
There certainly were hacks back in the day as well as there are today.

With that said, many repairs were done by farmers. There was a time when most people in this country had a farm of some sorts.

Mike.
___

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There certainly were hacks back in the day as well as there are today.

With that said, many repairs were done by farmers. There was a time when most people in this country had a farm of some sorts.

Mike.
___
I'm sure that's true but this was definitely a bad contractor I found the invoice from when it was done in the seventies lol

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Scary thing was a woman was living in the house and the only bathroom was in that corner.

Looks like the only thing holding it up was the plywood tying it to the other joists. Older people have a high tolerance for dilapidation in my experience lol

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If it runs down the middle of the house, its not a rim joist.
It's a rim joist in the sense that the joists dead into it. That's what I'm trying to convey, that there is a section of joists transferring load to this beam specifically like where you might normally find a girder beam and it has been completely severed. It's no coincidence I was walking over the floor and thought something ain't right here, blindly cut into the floor in a two foot square and so happened to land exactly on that spot.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is this your home? Suggestions may differ wildly between your home and a customer’s home.
It's a flip so it's gonna have to be disclosed. I'm thinking of patching in a smaller vent, then bolting two metal plates at each cut tho sandwich the beam and bridge the gaps unless you have any other suggestions I'm all ears at this point lol

·
Registered
591 Posts
It's a rim joist in the sense that the joists dead into it.
You can’t rename something to suit your desires. A rim joist goes around the rim of the structure. The outside perimeter.
You seem to be trying to explain a center beam. If that the case, and it was cut, you could have a very serious situation. But it could be a plain joist. Without better pictures and/or a sketch, your situation is dang near impossible to discuss.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You can’t rename something to suit your desires. A rim joist goes around the rim of the structure. The outside perimeter.
You seem to be trying to explain a center beam. If that the case, and it was cut, you could have a very serious situation. But it could be a plain joist. Without better pictures and/or a sketch, your situation is dang near impossible to discuss.
You're splitting hairs a little don't you think. I've explained in pretty good detail I think when I open it back up later I'll get more pics if that helps

1 - 20 of 57 Posts