Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a costumer who wants their backyard leveled out.. Problem is... one side is a good 6' higher then the next. There is a lot of run off water from winters and rain storms that flows right through the middle. The customer wants the backyard to be as level as possible. I was thinking we could put a drainage system through the low part u shaped part from high point all the way to the low point of the property.. How do I landscape this property without building up the one side to much?

·
Hack
3,011 Posts
What kind of landscaping are you planning on doing? Would the client consider having an Allan Block retaining wall built on the high side and having the rest of the yard leveled to the base of the wall?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They want a fence around the location and then as for as possible back yard.. I haven't suggested a retaining wall yet but was thinking that may be the way to go.

·
Hack
3,011 Posts
Hmmm...well, check into it, see if there's a reason for the height difference (maybe something runs through there).
Good luck!

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
I looked at something similar recently,the one I looked at has about a 12' drop. My suggestion was to make terraced walls, one in the back, not all the way back, at 4' high, and another one at 2.5'. Then a fence would be built on top of the four foot wall.

In your case, a 5' retaining wall would work, but the city might require engineering if it's that high. They'll want to know what you're doing with the water too if you plan on installing a perf line. If he's just looking for a flat surface, you can design a 4' one in the back and a 1' high wall close to the house. If you can get some equipment in the back yard, an ecology block wall would work good for your wall in the back.

·
Don
1,322 Posts
These are one of those questions you have to go through a Civil Engineer and then presented to the City, then have a few quotes from landscapers.
not a question to ask us as the reality is, yes it can be done. can i promise you this? no as i don't know your township

·
General Contractor
8,082 Posts
Tell him people pay extra for premium lots like this so they can have walkout basements, so if there is a basement, tell them instead of wasting money on all that fill and excavation, bang him out for a walkout basement which will bring the value of the house up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts