Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a radiator broke and there was hot water pouring out of this broken radiator pipe. The contractor came and turned the pump off and said that the hot water would drain and that he would be back later to fix the broken pipe to the radiator.

Meanwhile another contractor came for another job and saw the steam coming out of the room. He said that the contractor who turned off the pump didn't know what he was doing, he should not have done what he did and he could have broken the boiler.

The first contractor came back and the owner told him to do no further work and kicked him off the job.

Who is right in this situation? Was the first contractor right or wrong?

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Friends what system he has. You could crack the heat exchanger depending in how its plumbed in. He's correct and he not. If you shut the pump down and didn't shut if the water in guessing he has a sealed system which means no cold water could enter the heat exchanger when its hot. If it was a vented system then water would have been pooring out if he didn't shut the water down. Basically it all depends on water heating system is installed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Friends what system he has. You could crack the heat exchanger depending in how its plumbed in. He's correct and he not. If you shut the pump down and didn't shut if the water in guessing he has a sealed system which means no cold water could enter the heat exchanger when its hot. If it was a vented system then water would have been pooring out if he didn't shut the water down. Basically it all depends on water heating system is installed.
I'm not sure of the system.

If he turned the pump off and hot water still came pouring out then it would have a vented system?

If he turned the pump off and the water eventually drained out of the system he would have a sealed system?

I know he didn't turn the water off, he just turned off the pump going to one room, there were another two pumps going to two other rooms.

While the first contractor was there he said the water was slowing down and draining out of the system after he turned the pump off. He mopped up some of the water but the water was still coming out when he left. He left because he said it would take a while for the water to drain out of the system.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Yes if he did not turn the water off and water stopped coming out it would be a sealed system. Which means no cold water can hit the heat exchanger so the plumber was correct. Even if it was a vented system it would need the heat exchanger to be very hot with no water in it which is extremely unlikely to happen anyway. Older boilers were more prone to this but newer ones not so much. reason being is the boiler on sealed systems should not fire up unless there's .6bar of pressure in the system.

The system may have had no bleed valves so it could have taken a while to drain.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the contractor turned off the pump and the water drained out then later returned to fix the pipe, is this correct for either type of system?

If the contractor turned off the pump and water still carried on coming out of the broken pipe, then the contractor was wrong and he could have broken the boiler? What I don't understand is if he turned turn off the pump how could the water have kept coming out of the broken pipe, there is nothing pumping the water?

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Mikesloan said:
If the contractor turned off the pump and the water drained out then later returned to fix the pipe, is this correct for either type of system? If the contractor turned off the pump and water still carried on coming out of the broken pipe, then the contractor was wrong and he could have broken the boiler? What I don't understand is if he turned turn off the pump how could the water have kept coming out of the broken pipe, there is nothing pumping the water?
Like above it depends if there was bleed valves on the system so rads could be drained easy or not. I wouldn't have left but I know plumbers who would have. That's not really wrong or right in my eyes. I don't see that he could have damaged the system at all with a sealed system boiler. even if he was using a combi boiler it will not fire without pressure in the system.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes if he did not turn the water off and water stopped coming out it would be a sealed system. Which means no cold water can hit the heat exchanger so the plumber was correct. .
When you say the plumber was correct do you mean the first contractor who was asked to do the job or the the second contractor who just happened to see the job?

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,225 Posts
Mike, you need to tell us your role in this. Are you a contractor or a homeowner? You list your trade as HVAC; you should be familiar with heating systems.

I have a feeling that you should be posting your question at www.dychatroom.com.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The one who was correct was who ever shut the pump of and let the system drain and then left whilst it drained.
Excellent thank you for your info.

The client of contractor 1# refused to let him finish the job. When contractor 1 said okay you owe me for 2 hours work that I did earlier. The customer said I'll write you a check later but I will need to talk to you first.

I think I overheard the client said that contractor 2 was there fitting lighting.

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
What i get out of this is the HO is an idiot for listening to any contractor who is not a plumber/HVAC, the 2nd contractor is a rat and needs a good kick in the pud and the 1st contractor just got screwed for his time. If i were you i would pack my bags and leave with the 1st contractor or you just may get screwed by contractor #2 if you run into any problems. If you stay any problems that come about you will be guilty as charged just by being hired by contractor #1.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts