Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have 22" from the blade to the edge of the cast iron side wing on the left. How much side support would you put on? I see some guys don't do anything but I rip a lot of everything at any width. It wouldn't be ideal if I had to rip a foot or two of the end of a sheet.????

This is a rough idea of my plan. I'll also be adding a table off the other side of the saw with an incra ls 17 router fence super system. Pretty pumped about that....

Attachments

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
My current table has Formica on the top and I plan to do the same thing. The new outfeed will be bigger because I won't have the sliding table on it. That means ill have to splice the Formica.

Where would the best spot be?

I was thinking parallel to the blade at the 3' 2" mark. Running it down the center of the miter slot. Widest I can get is 5' wide and 12' long on the Formica.

Attachments

·
Pro
2,859 Posts
My out feed for shop is just simple plywood top and shelves underneath . It's 6 ' wide and 10 ' long . I screw down on plywood for clamp stops and make-in counter tops holding down .

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WarnerConstInc. said:
Is that thing a right tilt?
Left tilt. These are engineered a little different but it is very cool. They are pretty much the only table saw where the dust collection actually works.

Attachments

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
WarnerConstInc. said:
Tell them to sell me that horrible 66 real cheap, I could use a new portable saw.

No sheet goods through my saws, if I have to use sheet goods I bust them up with my rail saw.

Sorry, no help.
This one is for sale. I'm moving the one pictured above to this guys spot and selling this one. Make me an offer...

The bosses are old school. They were in it before the days of festool and rail saws. I keep dropping hints but haven't been able to get them to drink the koolaid yet. I'll probably have to buy mine and show them. Then we'll get one.

I ordered a new incra LS 17 with wonder fence this morning so I'm tickled silly.

PM 72a motor is at least 5 hp. I have a 12" blade in it. I think it will take a 14".

Attachments

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't like to pay much for anything.:laughing:

I can come get it and load it though.:laughing:
I figured that. :laughing: I'll let you know what we decide on price. I'm guessing it will sit around here for a while...so I'll let you know when the price gets dropped in about 6 months. Its a powerful saw.

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thats right, two sets of belts on them because of the whole break thingy.

I hope it works out for you, I have a couple friends that over see the production side of things at huge cabinet shops and they are all disappointed with the performance of the SS.
I figure some drop in performance is to be expected from a newer company verses something as old as powermatic. The 5 horse 66 I have in the middle of the shop is nothing to brag about. I wanted to get the 7.5 horse sawstop but it would have cost an extra grand since we bought the display model for about $500 off. I'll make it work. Time will tell. I've put the powermatic in here through hell. You have to re-tighten the belt once in a while to get your power back. Otherwise its been a great machine. The belt on the sawstop is way better than the PM.

Bottom line is a drop in performance is a price anyone is willing to pay after an accident for more safety.

I have heard both ways. There are plenty of guys who are thrilled with the saw. Especially the ones that got to test the features with their own fingers.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hope you do well with it. Table if it was mine I would want to move the fence to any number. You may be sorry my 2 cents.

Let us know how the saw works I've been looking at them.

·
Registered
9,562 Posts
I would have 2 ft to the left of the blade and 4 1/2 ft to the right.
If I am ripping 1 ft off a sheet I want to be on the fence side with the larger portion of the sheet . I want to push the larger pc between blade and fence.

Make the outfeed table 8' long so nothing tips up after cutting, from blade to end of table will be 9' which will keep a 16' from falling off the table

·
Registered
352 Posts
Congrats On your new saw. It looks like you have the table thing under control. Sketchup is handy.

Is that sliding table on the powermatic something you could move to your new saw? That would supply all the support you need and open up a lot of possibilities as well.

Your old powermatic 72 is similar to my saw. Someone will get a good deal on that.

Good luck Spencer and keep the pi turds coming.
Bob

1 - 20 of 33 Posts