Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How do yall who use vans haul a lot of material? Trailer?
I still have my truck. If I need it its there. It most cases if it is a significant amount of material I plan to use my lumber yard for delivery. At $30/delivery its not worth my time to go get a bunch of materials anyway. I'd be losing money doing it. Planning ahead works well.

·
Registered
Custom
13,965 Posts
Depends on what you mean by a lot and what type which would also mean amount of time... delivery is the cheapest option for most every delivery when you consider time to go, pick, checkout, load, drive to the site and unload.... not to mention gas...

The key is ordering to minimize the delivery charges and making sure your customer is paying for it...

Time picking up materials is time off a job, which delays it's finish costing you twice...

Even if I shorted myself 5 sheets of rock, unless I needed it right there and then and didn't have something else to work on, I wouldn't go to the box store to pick it up, as contractors get $20 deliveries at the pro-desk...

We are having 90 sheets of 54" x 144" delivered next week from a non-box store and they delivering it and bringing it in the house for $75...

The box-store may match the price of the rock, but they won't bring it into the house...

To me, the extra $55 in delivery charge to do that is money well spent instead of wasting our energy hiking the stuff into the house and THEN have to hang it...

We'll start hanging in one room, while they are still bringing it in...

·
Registered
Custom
13,965 Posts
I still have my truck. If I need it its there. It most cases if it is a significant amount of material I plan to use my lumber yard for delivery. At $30/delivery its not worth my time to go get a bunch of materials anyway. I'd be losing money doing it. Planning ahead works well.
You see... that's why I need to work on getting my post lengths down... you beat me to the punch... :whistling

·
Super Moderator
30,033 Posts
I get it delivered as well, when feasible.

When we are busy I have quite a few carpenters to keep busy, primarily on remodels. On remodels, I have the intitial package dropped with LVLs, header materials and plenty of studs to get started. From then on I go get my own, my leads or myself write lists everyday. I pick out primo stock that way too.

We just turned the tempo way up, so one of my carpenters sons is working for me as a laborer and roustabout. He gets the materials normally. Frees me up to work on the job or bounce back and forth between projects. Or leave me at the office, like today. Which sucks and why im taking CT breaks. Lol

·
Super Moderator
30,033 Posts
When I am working alone or with a hand, I do tend to use delivery more, and get what I need on my way home. Something to look at for sure, definitely make more money when im on site more.

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looking good bubba!! so how did you make out for height? can you still fit in your garage?
Right now height is very tight. If I had to much speed when I hit the concrete bump going into the garage I think I could pop it up and get really close to hitting.

Last night my wife was watching as I pulled it in and she said that it touched the rubber trim piece that goes along the inside of the garage door. Its a 1 ton so the back end sits pretty high right now. I think it will lower after I get all my shelving/tools in there.

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got the floor in last night and started laying tools in. Biggest thing is working around the wheel wells.

Passenger side is going to be two columns of systainers and two columns of stanley boxes for fasteners. The table saw will be on the end with my vac sitting on top when I take it. You'll just have to wait and see what the other side will be. My bulkhead isn't in yet so that will go in later.

Attachments

·
Contractor
4,778 Posts
I designed my shelving so that a large trash can could slide in/out w/ about 6" to spare-just a thought. Also, I had an old 30" tool box and bolted that bad boy to the floor next to the sliding door-it's proved most valuable in organizing the variety of hand tools I most commonly use and I can reach it without getting into the van.

your van lettering looks great-easy to read from far away!

·
Registered
10,298 Posts
Like the lettering,

With the systainers, if you want something out of the lower ones you have to move the whole stack? That would get real old real fast with me
Or are you going to have shelves and store them individually?

I have my shelves built over separate flooring from the center area. So I can easily replace center floor if needed. My center area is 15' long.

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here are some progress pics gentlemen. So far I'm pleases with how it's turning out.

All systainers will have dedicated shelf. No stacking. Grab and go.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,744 Posts
You'd be surprised how much material you can get into a one ton extended. These vans are a couple inches taller, and plywood can be loaded on edge. I can get 14' lengths in with the door closed if I manuever properly. Getting the material out can be an issue if you over do it though.

My least favorite thing to haul is scaffolding. I can squeeze about 4 bucks in at a time and get them out with some difficulty. Strapping them on top is also an option, but my rack is not as nice as Spencers, and they are still a pain to take down.

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You'd be surprised how much material you can get into a one ton extended. These vans are a couple inches taller, and plywood can be loaded on edge. I can get 14' lengths in with the door closed if I manuever properly. Getting the material out can be an issue if you over do it though.

My least favorite thing to haul is scaffolding. I can squeeze about 4 bucks in at a time and get them out with some difficulty. Strapping them on top is also an option, but my rack is not as nice as Spencers, and they are still a pain to take down.
I'm not sure how much I'll end up using the rack on the van. The rack on my pickup is a lot more convenient because I can reach where ever I need to when putting stuff up there/strapping/etc. With this van, it is way up there and you can reach it easily. Oh well. Can't have the best of both worlds.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts