Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be starting a separate service business soon. I though I would get input from those with experience.

The company will provide septic pumping, septic/sewer line cleaning, drain cleaning and video inspection. Septic/sewer repairs and replacement will be handled by the construction company. I expect our average transaction to be roughly $400.

This is very different logistically from our current business where we have a much larger average transaction.

1. Is there software the allows the scheduler to create a file and a technician to swipe and accept payment to the file via an ipad?

2. How do you handle contracts for small jobs? (I've seen the back of the proposal have a mini-contract.

·
Registered
403 Posts
"Square" is a cell phone swiper. There are others such as "pay anywhere" and "go payment" Fees are about 2.75%

There are numerous threads on here about them. You can purchase the swipers for $10 at retailers like walmart and loses and some services refund it back to you with the first transactions.

Im not sure if they work for an IPAD or not.

We use 3 part NCR forms from Staples for proposals and invoices and collect payment at the conclusion of the work.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I did something similar 5 years ago, but we do not do pumping.

Here is good program for a pumper & service provider http://compassonsite.com/

The guy you want to talk to is Scott Carmody.

It has been a very good investment & new fun challenge for me.

When I get bored I start or buy a new business.

Our septic related business is very profitable & still growing. I think it's going to be another 6-7 years before it maxes out.

One thing I would recommend is joining the local branch of NOWRA.

Finding good employees is little more difficult than the construction business, because they are not directly supervised & are usually working by themselves.

Your pumpers & service employees are the ones that will make you the money. They are the ones that should see when repair work is needed & sell it before the customer has chance to shop it.

On small jobs we just write it up on a service ticket.

Anything over a grand gets written up as a contract by a project manager.

When you do your video inspections make sure you record the area around the clean out before you put the camera in & provide the customer with a copy. You would be surprised the number of people who question that is their pipe when you show them they have a problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts