Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious as to how others set their porch posts on framed composite/pvc decks. Do you set them on the framing then notch the decking around them or install the composite/pvc decking and then set them on top of the decking? What is the reasoning for your approach and why do you feel it is the best? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I use solid blocking as part of the porch framing and then decking on top . Then set the posts or columns on top . I feel it helps to keep up the pace when installing decking instead of having to cut around post .

·
Eater of sins.
4,705 Posts
How ever you end up doing it you should make sure you have 100% solid blocking under the post to the foundation or to a pier/footing and not just sitting on top of planking and one framing member.
Personally I always used to penetrate the decking with the post to the foundation or setting on a beam designed for the loading and block around the post for my decking.

Andy.

·
Registered
15,569 Posts
Decking around posts would be better. Most materials will have a enough compressible strength except for those channeled decking like Timbertech terrain. Think about the future.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I would deck after the post are in, better bearing on the lower supports and I would frame and sheath the roof before the finish decking is down! FAR less chance of damage for the customer, and less replacement for you!

·
General Contractor
8,090 Posts
Also if you use wooden post, you should leave an air gap under it and the top of the post for air circulation and for the moisture to escape, if not your column will start to rot from inside out.

·
Super Moderator
29,209 Posts
When feasible, especially if its skirted I use a footing and Simpson, deck around.

·
Registered
15,569 Posts
Through posts make the most sense and prevent all of the shrinkage of beams and girders and joists. I dont understand why you will find more framing details on top of decking as opposed to this method.

·
GC/carpenter
44,204 Posts
Through posts make the most sense and prevent all of the shrinkage of beams and girders and joists. I dont understand why you will find more framing details on top of decking as opposed to this method.
It also removes the scissors point, which is a big deal when it comes to lateral movement from earthquakes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts