Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any neat tricks for getting pole standards from laying on the ground to standing on top of the concrete base? Poles will be electrostatic painted steel, 20'. Interested in other methods besides backhoe or crane.

·
Registered
378 Posts
are talking about parking lot size post. my electrian used my old truck with scaffold planks set on ladder rack.posts were about 14 16 ft .need at least two men for this method.

·
Electrical Contractor
2,411 Posts
Marc, can you possibly park a van along side the base and rope it up with a ground man staying the base?
20' is not big and the top of a van is about 7'-8'. With someone on top you can reach about 13'-14' or more. Maybe with a few planks across the ladder racks can give you more height and stability. This may be enough to stay above the center of gravity.

How many heads on each pole and how big?

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I like the standing on the van idea so far, especially since my vans are 11' off grade at the top. I never really considered that possibility. I only have about a dozen 20 footers to put in (on top of 2' peirs), with 2 cutoff fixtures on little stub arms. Seems like standing on the truck might be the way to fly. I've never set poles without the use of a crane or hoe, so this will be new for me. Only potential pitfall would be that my trucks have 6 skylights. That would be kinda interesting if you got all into in setting the pole and stepped through one of the fiberglass skylights. ha! (Does this mean that I have to put railing and a toe board around the top of the truck now? Yeah, right. :cheesygri )

·
Registered
378 Posts
planks elliminate possiblity of stepping thru skylight or denting van.my truck was p/u so no planks not an option. you do have ladder racks on top?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts