Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friends,

Need your opinion about to approach setting 4x4 wooden fence posts along a ridge/incline. Photos will paint a better picture. Basically, the fence line runs horizontally across a slope, so that the neighbor's side of the property line is higher. I would like to keep the fence running along the old fence line I'm replacing. Need your help determining how to set the posts so that they don't eventually tilt down hill. I was originally planning on 36" holes filled with gravel/concrete.

The fence will be a horizontal slat style fence. It will be 6'-7' tall. I am considering using piers now, but, originally I was hoping to just fill the 12" wide holes with concrete and not have any (or much) concrete showing above grade. This is in a part of California with lots of loamy clay and no worries with frost.

IMG_0605.jpg IMG_0607.jpg

·
Super Moderator
24,325 Posts
"Need your help determining how to set the posts so that they don't eventually tilt down hill".

WTF?????????????????????

·
Registered
176 Posts
Before this gets kicked off of here, what would be causing the posts to be pulled off plumb is the question you should be asking. Earthquake, gravity pulling the top down because of unequal load , wind, erosion. Think of the whole fence as a system, if the top stringer of the fence is attached to a solid properly braced corner post the fence shouldn’t lean down the hill. I’ve never gone beyond 2 ft for any fence post. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts