Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
THE GRUNT
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finishing up a custom and had to build a set of steps in the Garage today. Home owner wants rough stone work so they got some rough drystack! They turned out alright.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Those treads almost look like the matching hearthstones that cultured stone manufacturers sell. Hopefully they are not because the homeowners would be unhappy pretty soon as they break down.

·
THE GRUNT
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually I talked to the manufacturer about these stones and they had no problem with using them as treads... they just had to have a solid bed coat of mortar. They said they have been using then on complete porch floor applications like slate now and have had no issues. After talking to them and our salesman we decided to use them. He has been using them for years now and says he has had no issues from them.

·
Registered
72 Posts
What brand is that? I am familiar with Owens Corning and a few other brands and O.C. has this in their installation instructions:

Hearthstone Installation Instructions
Hearthstones are not recommended or warranted for exterior use or as a surface area subject to foot traffic.

With beauty only skin deep, so to speak, with these things, I would worry about them quickly wearing through. Your stones must be made differently and designed for such a use.

·
THE GRUNT
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The issue is they do not warranty the product as such. But after talking to a very nice person at Mountain Stone they said they had used them many times as steps. They said there main concern was them staining. These are all around concrete so they are not exposed to much that will stain them.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Those treads almost look like the matching hearthstones that cultured stone manufacturers sell. Hopefully they are not because the homeowners would be unhappy pretty soon as they break down.
i have never had any problem using hearth stones as treads.a few years back a lady added a small room for her hot tub.we stoned all the inside walls and laid broken hearth tops on the floor.if i remember right it was about 340 sq ft of hearth.turned out great and seen it a couple years ago when her husband passed away,it still looks great.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts