Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Contractor talk is a terrific resource and I use it all the time. It's also an important component of my web presence.

It seems like we're all shooting ourselves in the foot when diy'ers and ho's come on the site and then they are shooed off by the mods. It's an oppurtunity for all of us to get good, positive, exposure for our businesses that is being thrown away.

Sure some ho's could get some 'trade secrets'. More importantly they could learn the value and extent of the experience that many of the companies which frequent these boards possess.

Anyone second my motion to welcome the diy's and ho's when they turn up?

·
General Contractor
3,444 Posts
Well, if I have to worry about some homeowner stealing my work, then I just might have a lot deeper problems than just that.

One place any of us can outshine the ct "shooers" is to simply drop into DIY (I spend most of my time there... they are a lot of fun) and help out that guy who got run off from here. It's not a lost opportunity if you handle it that way, but rather it could be considered an almost exclusive contact.

While we "pros" stay here, and shun those who don't happen to hold a license, the wise contractors are often having their posts on DIY (or similar places) read by local prospects in their own backyard. I've gotten more than one job because of doing just that.

Remember that people really don't care how much you know until they know how much you care.

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The post that made me bring up the topic was in painting. A home owner was asking if they had to caulk all of the joints on the doors and windows in an addition because they had told the contractor they would do the painting.

Uhhh, yeah. That's what the painters do!

·
General Contractor
3,444 Posts
most DIYers come on this site in order to get pricing..so they are actually hurting the contractor.
How? Just give them a price you feel is right at the top limit plus 10%. Then they will hire the local guy who is 12% lower than the price they got here.

A win-win situation. :clap:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts