Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

ServiceMagic Stealing My Business Name

12K views 42 replies 19 participants last post by  lewintx1 
#1 · (Edited)
I did a Google search on my business name
Service Magic, Yellow Pages and Super Pages are using my business with their businesses phone number
Is this legal?
Does anyone know what is the best approach to have these companies remove my info?
I am a member of ServiceMagic, I’m not signed up for the exact match service and I only have my account active one week a month
I am not a member of Yellow Pages
I am not a member of Super Pages
Also I see that ServiceMagic uses my info in other adds
City Search.com
National City Search.com
Penny Saver USA.com
Insider Pages.com

#8 · (Edited)
Service Magic sent me an E-mail today explaining that there connection to my ads will be removed due to the cancelation of my exact leads being turned off
I was paying ServiceMagic anywhere from $75.00 to $250.00 per month for exact matches Its this program, exact matches, that was the culprit in the redirection of my business
So if you break it down in a nut shell I was paying ServiceMagic to steal my business and then reseal it back to me, WOW
The reason I canceled exact matches was that I never landed any of those leads
I would suggest to Service Magic to change there policy on exact matches
All exact matches should be prescreened and limited to two contractors
Otherwise Service magic will just push the exact matches to create more revenue
Without some kind of quality control I expect more contractors backing out of exact matches

#9 ·
Hey festerized-

They're doing it to my business as well.

typed in my company's name into a google search, and poof--towards the right of the resultsd page there is a link--my company's name in blue, ...and you click it--it goes to service magic.

I've been on the phone with those pricks for several weeks, only to get excuse after excuse....I've already taken us off of the exact match program,.....already have called and spoke to people at google, but in turn they tell me I need to speak with someone in the google adwords program.........and of course there's no phone support for google ads, just email (of which I sent one a couple weeks ago and have yet to hear anything back).

Now, after reading what I've typed I'm going to call them again and let them know I'm still waiting for them to get their shiat straight.:no:

#10 · (Edited)
The Power of Contractor Talk.com

The Power of Contractor Talk
SM contacted me thru Contractor talks messaging service
That shows you how much respect is given to this site and its contents
I received a few more E-mails from Service magic in regards to my exact matches and the redirection of my business
Service magic has pulled my redirection as well as my 5 reviews that Service magic has posted in Goggle Mapping
Google mapping is the future and I feel it is imperative to have those reviews posted on my Google mapping
I’m trying to negotiate a happy medium with SM
What I will end up doing is setting my exact matches to the lowest limit, $75.00 and just deal with the redirection, provided my Google mapping is not tampered with

#12 ·
Servicemagic hi-jacking my business name

7 weeks later and SM has my removed my listings from Google
SM is still hi-jacking my business name on MSN and Yahoo
Shawn do have to call SM on every listing or can SM get it right the first time?
Shawn I have sent you an E-mail and I’m writing up a certified letter, warning SM to stop any and all hi-jacking of my business name, enough is enough with you guys

#16 ·
Still the same problem eh?

I have talked to other contractors who have said the same thing.

Understand, you are in the lions den with these guys, they are professionals at spinning and keeping you hooked.

If you think its worth it in the long run, so be it. Most of us want respect and honesty when we spend our money.

You will not beat them at their game, they got your CC number, then they got you.

#17 ·
I have learned a lot in the past year & a 1/2 with advertising on the web, and still learning
I have for the most part know how to use SM now. My cost of doing business with SM has dramatically decreased, it’s a #’s game
Just using SM to fill in the gaps

#21 ·
Honesty is not their forte. I have spoken to them about their "qualified" leads. They could verify the intent of the client providing their information by a simple automated call or e-mail verification. I explained it is harder to join a forum than it is to 'get a call from up to four contractors.' Their business model is that there will always be more contractors.

Is it possible to copy the ratings/reviews from service magic and post them to your site or to your google listing? Do you own the ratings or does service magic?

I really liked the idea of exact match, but the added cost and them advertising my name with their number on it all over the web just didn't sit right with me. Should I have done it? I might have gotten more work, but if someone had seen my name on a sign or my van and did a search, and had service magic pop-up ahead of me in the paid spot, I would be :censored:.

#22 ·
Stealing indeed

I agree with you my idea of marketing is not taking my already existing google listing and directing traffic to service magic so that they can sell me my own customer as well as sell my customer to other contractors. That is the main reason I stopped using them they are to greedy and to basically hi-jack my listing on google maps is ridiculous. I haven't been using them for a year and by chance did a search on insider pages and sure enough they hijacked that page and other as originally mentioned in the first post. So i am no longer a member for over a year and they still have been stealing my leads on other sites for their own benefit, I don't remember signing up for that. I did contact them an hour or so ago and ask them to remove the listing, so we will see how long it takes the man said it should be more then a day.

#24 · (Edited)
I agree with you my idea of marketing is not taking my already existing google listing and directing traffic to service magic so that they can sell me my own customer as well as sell my customer to other contractors. That is the main reason I stopped using them they are to greedy and to basically hi-jack my listing on google maps is ridiculous. I haven't been using them for a year and by chance did a search on insider pages and sure enough they hijacked that page and other as originally mentioned in the first post. So i am no longer a member for over a year and they still have been stealing my leads on other sites for their own benefit, I don't remember signing up for that. I did contact them an hour or so ago and ask them to remove the listing, so we will see how long it takes the man said it should be more then a day.
Service magic will only remove the listing you find and ask to be removed; it’s a cat & mouse game. Some ads you may have to call 2 to 4 times before they will remove it.
You can also claim some of the ads that Service Magic is hijacking, simply verify the account and correct the info.
Good Luck!

#23 ·
Wouldn't know. They called my house and told my wife they were returning my call for setting up an account. i never called them. So I never signed up. Lying off the bat to get a customer isn't the way to sell a product. Checked Internet right after that and found servicepro scams.

Can't remember exact but. Something about 10 point check, didn't check to see if contractor was licensed. That's what I found. Hope this indirectly helps.

#26 ·
It took me calling at least 12 times, and speaking with at least 10 different people who all claimed they could help me get their PAID SPONSORED LINK WITH MY COMPANY NAME taken down from google.

It started with a phone call last August '09. and wasn't removed until the turn of the year.

As pissed off as I was, I was actually shocked when they took it down.

-Hope this helps someone in the same boat.

#28 ·
I contacted service magic about removing links-read discussion for yourselves

Sent: Friday, April 23, 2010 7:44 PM
To: Trammell, Shawn
Subject: I need assistance with some Service Magic Hijacking

Shawn:

I found this article on line:

Summarize the issue: My Servicemagic account is somehow linked to my Google Local Business Listing. This causes potential clients to go to ServiceMagic for "quotes" which cost me money for no reason. Would like ServiceMagic removed from my listing.

Link to the map or business listing in question if applicable:

My name is Shawn Trammell and I monitor the online reputation for ServiceMagic. I can help you with your Google Local Business Listing. I would like an opportunity to discuss this issue with you and look forward to assisting you. Please contact me at your earliest convenience.
Thank you,
Shawn Trammell
303-963-8130

So I was wondering if you can assist me with this issue:

I noticed that Service Magic has hijacked my Google Maps local listing and put their phone number on the listing. I would like this to be removed from all my local listings with Google and other search engines and directories please. This is unethical and business piracy, which is unlawful to do without the business owner's permission. My existing account with Service Magic has been closed and I would like all connections to Service Magic severed with no references or hijack links back to Service Magic. Here is the link to my local listing. I have no way to edit it out. Thankyou for your assistance in advance.

Jeff

Sent: Mon, April 26, 2010 10:49:52 AM
Subject: RE: I need assistance with some Service Magic Hijacking

Jeffrey,

Thank you for reaching out to get this issue resolved. I noticed your information was sent following a conversation you had with Theresa. This should take anywhere from a few weeks to a couple of month for the removal of all your XM links online. Your Google listing should still be available provided you had one prior to SM. SM creates a separate listing and doesn’t hijack your previous profiles, including the Google Map Listing, these are new accounts that SM sets up for your company. Let me know if there’s anything I can help you with.

Thanks,

Shawn Trammell
Phone: 303.963.8130
Fax: 866.736.9119
ServiceMagic is an operating business of IAC

ServiceMagic is a Preferred Partner of Better Homes and Gardens

Sent: Monday, April 26, 2010 10:40 AM
To: Trammell, Shawn
Subject: Re: I need assistance with some Service Magic Hijacking

Thats bull****!! All they have to do is completely remove Service Magic names and addresses from Google local Maps listings and this can be done right away. When I set up my local listing, it showed up right away and when I make changes to my local listings, they show up right away, so it will not takes weeks or months. I would do it myself, but the area for editing this out does not show up. Somehow Service Magic rigged it this way?

Details from servicemagic
Call For A Quote
(866) 616-3901

Get A Quote
Get A Quote

In Business Since

Services Offered
Tile, Carpet & Upholstery Cleaning

More from servicemagic-com

I want all the above information removed immediately, otherwise I will file a complaint with Google that your violating their service level agreements about trademark and infringing on other businesses, which Service Magic does on a habitual basis.

Sent: Mon, April 26, 2010 11:50:52 AM
Subject: RE: I need assistance with some Service Magic Hijacking

This can not be done right away. We have dates that we can send the information to the syndicated partners and they will remove the profiles. The reason you aren’t able to edit the listing is because that is not the same page you had. Service Magic can not rig the profiles, those are the ones SM purchased when marketing your company. If you had profiles or listings on these sites prior to agreeing to market your company with SM then you should still have access to those sites and listings. Just as it takes time to get the links started it also takes time to remove them as well.

Service Magic has not violated any service level agreements about trademarks and is not infringing on your business. We were simply marketing your company through our XM program that you agreed to. I apologize for the inconvenience as it does take time to remove the links, which we’ve already started the process.

Shawn Trammell
Phone: 303.963.8130
Fax: 866.736.9119
ServiceMagic is an operating business of IAC

ServiceMagic is a Preferred Partner of Better Homes and Gardens

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.