Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Service & Repairs
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you suppose happened here?

All I know about this one is that they had a little renovation/ addition work done about a year, maybe two years ago.

There really is no excuse for having the line side laying on the roof like this.

·
Service & Repairs
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They dont bury those thinks in Jesey?
Not in this neighborhood they don't, this is in Clark, NJ. Mostly new developments and/ or new houses have the option of going underground but it is very expensive and a PITA sometimes because the EC is responsible for the run out to the transformer. Like with anything, money talks.

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
You can see there is a vent through the roof and some kind of stand bolted to the roof so why wouldnt they put a riser up through? I dont know about your location but there is no way an inspector would allow that nor would the grid company hook it up around here. Apparently someone never gave it a thought of the lines rubbing through on the shingles and is that one of the feeds going over the gutter?

I push for underground services around here all the time. No ugly meter on the side of the home, you can install a dis-connect at the pole/pedistal so power can be shut off in an emergency or power can be shut off if there is a problem with the line without having to call the grid company for a dis-connect/reconnect.

·
Registered
838 Posts
That is a Cluster F_-k. Biggest Drip Loop I've ever seen! My guess is the Power Grid Lineman couldn't find his Cable Cutters that day.............

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Well drip loop is necessary....

·
Service & Repairs
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can see there is a vent through the roof and some kind of stand bolted to the roof so why wouldnt they put a riser up through? I dont know about your location but there is no way an inspector would allow that nor would the grid company hook it up around here. Apparently someone never gave it a thought of the lines rubbing through on the shingles and is that one of the feeds going over the gutter?

I push for underground services around here all the time. No ugly meter on the side of the home, you can install a dis-connect at the pole/pedistal so power can be shut off in an emergency or power can be shut off if there is a problem with the line without having to call the grid company for a dis-connect/reconnect.

I'll bet building plans changed and the service was already done. I'll also bet that I'll be knocking on the door here to fix it for them. :thumbup:

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
That would make a nice job for a day. Definitly a safety risk but at least you will have enough wire on the feed to work with. Who knows what the panel looks like, might be more work there too. Your going to have to replace the wire from the weatherhead down so maybe you can sell a panel upgrade?? Good luck.

·
Service & Repairs
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That would make a nice job for a day. Definitly a safety risk but at least you will have enough wire on the feed to work with. Who knows what the panel looks like, might be more work there too. Your going to have to replace the wire from the weatherhead down so maybe you can sell a panel upgrade?? Good luck.

I would guess by the amount of construction that took place - and by the new PVC riser - that the service has already been upgraded. I doubt the HO's want to pay for another one, but we'll see. Do you think it's weird to have someone knock on your door enquiring about the electrical service?

·
strat hd
1,695 Posts
I would guess by the amount of construction that took place - and by the new PVC riser - that the service has already been upgraded. I doubt the HO's want to pay for another one, but we'll see. Do you think it's weird to have someone knock on your door enquiring about the electrical service?
If it's a safety issue, no. I'm no electrician but how would you feel if the house burnt down.

·
Service & Repairs
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If it's a safety issue, no. I'm no electrician but how would you feel if the house burnt down.
I'd feel bad as I would if any house burnt to the ground and a family was left on the street. There's a part of me that wants to do something about it and there's a part that says to me to mind my own friggin' business. I probably will knock on the door here once the license number arrives from the state in my mail box.

·
strat hd
1,695 Posts
I'd feel bad as I would if any house burnt to the ground and a family was left on the street. There's a part of me that wants to do something about it and there's a part that says to me to mind my own friggin' business. I probably will knock on the door here once the license number arrives from the state in my mail box.
Yeah, what do you have to lose ? It would be a good deed.

·
ampman
783 Posts
the drip loop does not even drain into the gutter

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
I wouldnt feel odd about it, its plainly a safety issue and i am sure the owner is unaware of it. I would just tell him you were next door working and saw they have a safety issue and leave them your card. Leave it to them to do the repair. They will either realize the work was done by a hack and look to you for the proper repair or have the same fella come back and do it right. At least you can go home with a clear conscience.

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
Magnettica;707046 Mostly new developments and/ or new houses have the option of going underground but it is very expensive and a PITA [/quote said:
Out here in backwards and behind-the-times Albuquerque we switched to underground on all new residential about 40 years ago. I'm surprised that New Jersey is that far behind the times.

What amazes me is that people paying for a nice house put up with ****ty looking cable drops.

As for digging the trench, the same trench holds the Gas line, electric service drop, cable tv, and telephone. All are installed by the same crew at one time. The connections for the cables are adjacent to each other and above the buried gas line.

·
Service & Repairs
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I only care because I'm looking at it as a potential profit maker. This is around the corner from my house and I'm looking to make a little money. What kind of weirdo goes around snapping pictures of crappy services without having an agenda in mind? :laughing:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts