Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I am tabling the idea of a Sprinter at this time due to all the maint issues I hear. So if its 4.8 vs 6.0 chevy which and why? I'm looking for 2010 or newer to get the 6 speed transmission.

·
Contractor
4,763 Posts
have you considered an older Sprinter? from 200x-2006 they have the 5 cylinder motors which are more fuel efficient and from what I've heard 'dependable'. I think 5 Star has one-a nice red one!

I have an 08 and have had it in the shop once for a warranty EGR issue. Some people get tunes for them to minimize the EGR issues-and improve mileage. Sprinter-source.com is the CT for sprintertalk.

the last thing I will say, my Sprinter's performance in the snow has been absolutely amazing. I can't say enough about how well it handles in the snow. Best of luck

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I have considered the older ones but just can't wrap my head around 15k for a vehichle with 250k miles on it. I was shopping for an 08 just because of being able to tune out some of the EGR problems. What type of mileage do you get? Any rust issues?

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
hfd419 said:
Yeah I have considered the older ones but just can't wrap my head around 15k for a vehichle with 250k miles on it. I was shopping for an 08 just because of being able to tune out some of the EGR problems. What type of mileage do you get? Any rust issues?

I got a 05 3500 long wheelbase, I'm averaging 20 loaded, 1/2 full meaning just tools no material 23-24 I don't really count anymore because it is what it is at this point, but for like $80-85 a fill up I'll pull 430-450 a tank if I really bleed it maybe 470 but that pushing it!!

Rust is prone to the area it's from I have the freight liner version so I've been real lucky with very minimal rust on the windshield frame and just saw a small bubble on the slider door very tiny, but I'm in the north east so it's fine, I'm in the 8th year of ownership so I'm gonna ride this till it drops! I thought about selling it and jumping into a new one but I could think of better things to do with $7-900 a month haha, but I'm considering me lettering and a maaco paint job and new chrome hub caps for the summer to freshen things up a bit, around $2500 investment

Reactions: AustinDB

·
Contractor
4,763 Posts
no real rust issues on my van except the slider door. It looks as if it had no clearcoat on the door-not sure if that was the previous owners fault or something different.

I'm considering painting mine too. Not so sure Maaco can get it into their bay-I called the local franchise years ago and that's the story I got.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts