Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
The Handyman
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was invited by phone and e-mail the other day to a function at the home office of SM here in COLORADO. It was a BBQ and a seminar combined. I was real interested in the seminar because it would be by DAN LUPBERGER he has authored several books on marketing and I had no doubt that I could learn some thing new.

As I pulled into the parking lot across the street I could see a tent several BBQ grills going and many ppl with blue "T" shirts on milling around. The blue shirts were SM "T" shirts with company logo on them and each person, myself included had name tags.Tables were set with table cloths and a sign that said "sign in here". As I signed in I was handed a nice gift bag, but the biggest thing was how friendly the ppl were. They were genuinely glad to see me. Many introduced themselfs and shook my hand, they made sure I knew what all was going on.

The food was awesome we had to eat inside because of the rain. By this time I had gotten to talk to a couple of the guys for quite some time. I have never been in a large company that I felt more welome than I did here. All I could think was Gee these are really great ppl and all are so friendly. I just wish all of you could of had the chance that I had, I know it really opened my eyes. One nice looking gal took several pics while we were talking, bet they are hanging on the wall now. I really felt at ease it was as if I was at a family reunion, but these ppl liked you. ;)

Had chance to talk to several ppl from SM, I never heard a bad word about the company in fact it was quite the reverse. More than one told me that they had never worked for a company that treated them better than SM had. This was backed up by showing me things on a tour through the different departments where they were rewarded for special things each week. From what I gather there are weekly meetings that all employees attend and give their thoughts on how things can be improved. SM seems to not only listen to the employees but also us as consumers, to see if there is some way to improve things or the way they are done. Since I have been with them I have seen many changes in the web pages and it seems that once I learn the new way, things get easier for me.

The tour was interesting as each department duz a certain job, ppl are trained for a specific operation and that is their job. If the question or what ever is out of their realm then it is passed on to where it belongs. Did I mention just how at ease I felt with these great ppl?

I have to admitt that I have been a supporter of SM since the begining, but they have gotten me to where I am at today. The time spent there the other evening was time well spent for me. Besides getting to meet some really great friendly ppl I also learned from the seminar.

When ppl put SM down it is like they are kicking us, that feel good about them in the stomach or are saying we are to stupid to know what we are doing. If only all of you could have the chance to meet these great folks as I did, you would maybe understand far more about SM and how it really operates. These ppl are just like your neighbors your friends your relatives, I really enjoyed them all.

Sure not everyone will get the desired results, but there can be any number of reasons why it works for one and not another. As big as SM is they are sure to make mistakes can any of us claim that we don't? Magnify that many times over and thats where SM is. I've been around many large corporations over the years never have I been at one that made me feel more welcome than I did the other nite. I am sure there are the employees that hate their job, but by a large margin the ones I talked to liked the company and what they were doing. You could hear it in their voice you could see it in their faces, you could feel it as you talked to them. It was nice to put a face with several voices I had talked to over the phone before.

No I do not work for SM, I work for myself as a self employed HANDYMAN. I love what I do and am happy with where I am rght now. I don't use any other service I don't advertise in paper or phone book as I am to busy with leads from SM. Look me up on SM (JERRYS FLOORS) look at my profile and the rateings and reviews that I have gathered over the last couple of years. I enjoy learning how I can better market myself and do better than I am. Maybe some day I can cut the umbilical cord from SM but for now I need it.

I just wanted to share my experience from the other evening, it was a great time well spent with some awesome ppl. I know next time someone from there calls I will have more respect for them. I get calls every once in a while from SM, checking to make sure I am happy do I need any thing. Is there any thing they can help me with, such as ppl that don't answer calls. They have gave me several suggestions on how to raise the odds in my favor with that. When was last time the yellow pages called to see how you are doing. Throw an add in the paper you are one of many, no one could care less who you are, only that you pay your bill on time.

SM has helped me launch my own WEB SITE, the calls come to me directly not through SM, no charge for these leads. But still they helped me get it going, it is an experiment to see how this will work. It has had results already. Going thru the SM site there is a ton of knowledge that is geared to us as contractors on how to market our selfs how to sell a job plus a number of other things. If we are a success SM will be a winner also. It is a win win situation for all of us. They have been advertiseing in the DENVER area on radio and TV to try drum up even more business.

If you come on the site see the negative post and decide that it is not for you, why is it you don't listen to us happy customers and give it a try? I don't care either way if you use SM or not it don't gain any thing for me I don't get a cut. I just get tired of being made out to be a fool because I use a lead service that works for me.

At the close of the evening there was a door prize drawing along with some folks that received special mention for long time service a great rating and review. One guy had over a 1000, gives me some thing to shoot for. There were home contractors there were plumbers, electricans, appliance service man, landscapers plus some others I have no idea what they did. Many had brought their wives all in all a great time. Best part was, I won a set of tools worth about $300. :thumbup:

Thanks SM from bottom of my heart I really enjoyed the evening thank you! :clap:

·
Certified Remodeler
3,207 Posts
In the real world an unhappy customer can't find enough people to complain to.
A job well done is an expected result. You will hear about it, but not much.

To go on and on praising every aspect of a corporate entity is something you rarely hear. When its done for a company that has created such a vast following of dissatisfied customers and a company that has has some pretty sleazy business tactics, its flat out suspect.

There's a story here, but were not getting it.

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,811 Posts

·
The Handyman
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was just shareing my experiene for the evening. I could give a rats ass if it makes any sence to anyone else, but It was a great time for me and a chance to really meet some nice ppl face to face. Yes there are many complaints here about SM but as with any thing we as humans are far more prone to complain rather than praise. Why be here if you are happy you are out working and don't have time to complain? Ppl are afraid to speak their piece as they are afraid of being attacked as I have.

With the complainers one wonders who is the real culprit, as I say there can be many reasons for a service not to work, but it must be the service how dare anyone point a finger at the consumer. I was told the number one complaint with contractors was no answer from leads. The #1 complaint with LEADS was that they didn't get any calls from contractors.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,736 Posts
With the complainers one wonders who is the real culprit, as I say there can be many reasons for a service not to work, but it must be the service how dare anyone point a finger at the consumer. I was told the number one complaint with contractors was no answer from leads. The #1 complaint with LEADS was that they didn't get any calls from contractors.
WOW, this is borderline delusional. Have you read any of the posts that are hear about service magic? You know, the contractor who calls the lead and they say they were only inquiring some prices but weren't really serious right now. The lead that was sold to about 50 contractors. The lead that in reality wasn't a lead. There are lots of examples of real life contractors trying to use the SM system that feel they got ripped off. Why, probably because they got ripped off. How about when they suspend their account only to find that SM has reinstated it without their permission or knowledge. This is borderline criminal because there is a credit card attached to that account. When they activate it without permission that is stealing. There are pages and pages of unsatisfied contractors. I am not one of them, I was smart enough and read enough here to never get involved. They have called me at my shop and I told them to not call again. But they did anyway. For 2 weeks a few times a day. Nice company you are defending.

BTW, how much did they pay you to right that :censored: story?

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
I think handyman is being honest, I don't for a second think he was paid or coerced into writing this.

I think he genuinely feels the way he does, due to his own personal experiences and his own personality and exposure to the world and what he knows of it.

Handyman - I mean what did you expect to find at a company sponsored dog and pony meet and greet? Were you expecting to get there and be put in a line up and kicked in the balls repeatedly for 4 hours? :laughing:

It's a company sponsored meet and greet. They have an agenda don't you think? The entire event is carefully planned from start to finish to present the company in whatever light they want to paint themselves.

As for the nice people -- dude, you live in Colorado don't you? It's not exactly like you're not living in a state not known for having some of the nicest, laid back people in the country. How different are the people working at SM then the rest of us here?:no:

Naw, give handyman a break guys.

He's from a small town, I would just guess he has very little experience with events like this and SM did a good job wowing him. Kind of like the kid going to the state fair for the first time and being wowed.

A nice free hamburger and some back rubs don't change a companies spots.

Kind of like HomeDepots new answer for all their problems is they have a new company directive where an employee is not allowed to walk past a customer without making eye contact, smiling and saying hi.

It's very nice, but a nice smile and saying hi still doesn't make up for the fact that not a single person in the place doesn't know that contact cement isn't located in the concrete aisle. :laughing:

Remember - I'm sure Enron threw some awesome company shin-digs too. :laughing:

·
Registered
738 Posts
I think handyman is being honest, I don't for a second think he was paid or coerced into writing this.

I think he genuinely feels the way he does, due to his own personal experiences and his own personality and exposure to the world and what he knows of it.

Handyman - I mean what did you expect to find at a company sponsored dog and pony meet and greet? Were you expecting to get there and be put in a line up and kicked in the balls repeatedly for 4 hours? :laughing:

It's a company sponsored meet and greet. They have an agenda don't you think? The entire event is carefully planned from start to finish to present the company throwing it in whatever light they want to paint themselves.

As for the nice people -- dude, you live in Colorado don't you? It's not exactly like you're not living in a state not known for having some of the nicest, laid back people in the country. How different are the people working at SM then the rest of us here?:no:

Naw, give handyman a break guys. He's from a small town, I would guess he has very little experience with events like this and SM did a good job wowing him. Kind of like the kid going to the state fair for the first time and being wowed.

A nice free hamburger and some back rubs don't change a customers spots.

Kind of like HomeDepots new answer for all their problems is they have a new company directive where an employee is not allowed to walk past a customer without making eye contact, smiling and saying hi.

It's very nice, but a nice smile and saying hi still doesn't make up for the fact that not a single person in the place doesn't know that contact cement isn't located in the concrete aisle. :laughing:
no ****, I noticed the past few times I've been in there they seem to make it a point to bother me and act all friendly in a fake way

·
Banned
397 Posts
I have to wake up this morning and read Micheal Jackson wasn't a pedefile and Service Majic is not the devil.

Are you people just trying to run me off. How can you put this garbage in print and sleep at night.

·
The Handyman
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Say what ya want but I expessed my feelings I was there I got to meet the ppl. A couple of guys were interested in ATV as I am. We may end up shareing some info and trails in this area. I can't believe that ppl that weren't there know more than I do about what went on the ppl that I met and the good time that was had by all. These ppl that were invited were customers already no selling was done no pressure was added to anyone. The seminar lasted 45 minutes and was helpful, at least to me.

What a stupid question how much was I paid? How much did you want me to get paid? If I had gotten paid to write that it would have been here the next day instead of several days later as I didn't have time to post it. Some of you show real intelligence its not hard to see why you can't make it work.

Sorry but the more I listen to, the more I wonder about the mentality of some of the complainers. Sure there are bound to be complaints the company is big for some reason, I am sure many complaints are legit. One guy I talked to said he started 5 years ago, there were 300 employees. Last year there were 900 and now there are over 1000, with markets opening up over seas in a couple of foreign countries. I've never had a customer complain about how many calls they had. Had one tell me on a fence job that I was only SM person to reply. I recall one guy (contractor on this site) that complained that he got leads while he was on vacation. When it finially all came out he had shut off leads for 15 days well before leaving for vacation. Instead of going in and extending the leads off. He just went on vacation and was mad that he got leads after they were turned on. Well DUH ! that terrible SM should have known he was going on vacaton even though he hadn't shut off leads for that time period. This is the kind of complaint you base your decision on!

Since I've never had anyone that was a lead that had 50 calls, I've never been over charged on credit card without my approval. Sure I have had leads that were just shopping around, for crying out loud is SM leads the only place this happens? The other day at LOWES I was looking for a window had to wait as salesman was working with a woman on her purchase. He did all the paper work layed every thing out for her. Her reply was thanks but I think I'll wait awhile. Wonder how many times a day that happens? This is the real world not some fairly tail land where each customer has a pocket full of money and can't wait for you and only you to take it. No matter where a lead takes you or don't that is another person that knows you are out there. They may not need you right now but there is a chance that down the road they may use you, or pass your name on to someone else. Every lead I get is someone that most likely I would never had known to exist. With over a thousand workers and growing there are some ppl that are doing good and are well satisfied. I was told that they had spent well over 24 million just on buying key words. Gee wonder where that money came from if no one is useing the leads.

Please don't try to insult my intelligence by telling about the DOG and PONY crap. Come on I am most likely far older than you I have been around the room a few times over the years. I sat down talked to several of these fine ppl I got to know a little about each of them. They had no reason to BS me as they get my money all ready. Never at any time was business talked about, other than the tour that I took with my personal guide. He explained each department and it's purpose or operation, he showed me how big each was. It is pretty apparent that the complainers are not real busy as they have all this time to complain. The happy folks are like me out working and free time is limited.

How many of you have pissed off a customer no matter how hard you tried? How many ppl did they tell about you, bet everyone that would listen got an ear full. Make a customer happy they will tell some ppl but not near as many as they would if unhappy. Just HUMAN NATURE, thats the way it is.

Several of you complain about SM but have never used the service, you rely on someone that you ran across here on the site and take his word as being written in stone. Then you infer that I am stupid! YEAH RIGHT, the pot calling the kettle black. I have been there done that, I am there now and am doing that. My experience is first hand it is not second hand info that who knows what really happened. Maybe the guy got rejected because he didn't have the license that is required or insurance certificate or didn't pass a BG check. Now he is pissed at SM, it is all there fault, and you buy into it without having a clue as to what the real true is. Surely you JEST!

Are there things that happen that aren't up to par? I am sure there are but a company has waaaaay to much to lose by trying to rip off ppl for a few measley bucks, they have to be far smarter than that to have gotten this far. Think what ever it is that you must think, ask stupid questions I will try to answer them. Make stupid statements and I will try to answer them also. It's ok for many of you to be pissed but whoa is me, that has the nerve to stand up and tell it like it is for me from my perspective. Till you have walked a mile in my shoes, save the sourchasm (spelling) for another day, I shared my experience as it was a good one for me, apparently none of you were there so how do you really know what went on?

Have a nice day!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts