Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For guys who specialize in service and small jobs, I'm wondering what your numbers are for repeat customers (within a one year period, let's say) and call backs for a job you already worked on. I'm hoping to run numbers at then end of this year, but I'm curious if anyone who has been in business for a while has numbers like this or goals that they set along these lines.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Well this year I landed a job as a sub for a very large car dealership. So that forced me not look for extra work.

But I got 4 very solid repeat customers that keep me busy every week end. Lots of one and two day jobs. Those are my best money makers.

If not for the golden job I got now , I know that I would be adding new people to my list. I turn down work every week because there is not enough time to go even look at the jobs.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Have a system to track leads including repeats. Here's a breakdown, since I was looking at it this morning.

I ran a mixed bag of small services and GC type work in the last year, home-business repairs, mold mitigation follow up, small to medium cabinetry, basic additions, bathrooms, specialty stuff here and there.

By number of customers 30-40% repeat (with one girlfreind-boyfriend referral Consider them a single customer), by $ today about 65% repeat business.

Customer Make up by $
15% is direct commercial subcontract from GC type entity & Direct for corporate Retail
25% B2B Contracting as GC or Direct service provider
The balance is residential

40/60 split between services and GC type work

35% is, and I cringe to type, "Handyman" service type work. Those types of services are just scaled down offshoots and greatly benefit from what I/we have done as part of larger scale projects and personnel experience. We sell and perform our small scale services being done by experienced tradesman in those areas or 'that' specific task. Helps with the "limiting" factors of being viewed as just a Handyman Service, for my specific case. No offense intended to Handymen.

6 minor Call backs. Fixes less than an hour
1 Major F/U your not a real business until you have one or two :laughing:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts