Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, Heres my question...Me and my partner just recently were certified to install septics. We mainly took the certification because his parents just bought some property and needed a septic installed. Now, I'm curious as to how we ad this to our list of services and how do we estimate this?

Like I said we mainly did this to install his parents system however with work slowling it wouldn't be a bad idea to start doing these more.

So...are there any programs you would suggest? I understand ever job is different when estimating but my main question is do you go by Cubic Feet, Square Feet, Liniear Feet? And whats the normal cost to start your estimate...Example if your going by SqFt what would your SqFt cost be ya know?

Scott Smith
Beasley Contracting/Stera Clean

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
This is a good thread. Tell more about your location and the class you took. How long did the class take and what did it cost?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cleveman - I'm located in Southern Indiana...The class lasted about 2hrs start to finish but in my opinion its nothing to brag about. The old man teaching the class kept running off subject...lol But most of the stuff he explained myself and my partner already knew...I've never installed a residential septic however I installed a septic for my dog kennels and it's pretty much the same concept after taking this class. The class covered back fill, leach fields, sand, gravel, d box, etc...1000 gal tank for 3br house ad 250 gals as you ad more bedrooms...As for the cost I'm not sure my partners parents paid for it just because the only reason we did it was to do their system. The only real reason I took it was to get the class to the min size....Basically they signed me up to get the amount needed to host the class...LOL

But now that we have them...I'm thinking of maybe looking into it as a service....

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Thanks for the info. İ suppose if you want to know how to bid, then you just need to know what is called for and what it will take to do it. For example, if you need a trench leading from the building to the tank, then a hole for the tank, distribution box, then your laterals.

İ assume that you have the necessary equipment or are prepared to rent it.

And you have the cost of the materials, including pipe,tank, distribution box, laterals.

Another way to do this would be to find out what jobs are going for and bid them for that price or slightly under until you get one. Then you will get a quick idea for whether you can do the work or not for that amount of money. Just make sure you look at the work first and make sure that it is standard, that is nothing funky.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
cleveman - I'm located in Southern Indiana...The class lasted about 2hrs start to finish but in my opinion its nothing to brag about. The old man teaching the class kept running off subject...lol But most of the stuff he explained myself and my partner already knew...I've never installed a residential septic however I installed a septic for my dog kennels and it's pretty much the same concept after taking this class. The class covered back fill, leach fields, sand, gravel, d box, etc...1000 gal tank for 3br house ad 250 gals as you ad more bedrooms...As for the cost I'm not sure my partners parents paid for it just because the only reason we did it was to do their system. The only real reason I took it was to get the class to the min size....Basically they signed me up to get the amount needed to host the class...LOL

But now that we have them...I'm thinking of maybe looking into it as a service....
I don't see how you can learn how to properly install septic tanks in 2 hours, I suggest taking more classes on it, especially if you are going into the business.

In Florida Plumbers can install septic tanks, and there was quite a bit of questions on the test when I took it, but most Plumbers sub out septic tank work as it is a specialized field.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bwalley - We are learning from installing a septic...we both pretty much have the idea of it. I built a septic for my kennels and a residential septic is the same principle just more fingers, etc...I guess now I'm not for sure but from my understanding the state is getting involved here in Indiana when it comes to septic installs...Like I said I don't know if last year certifications where required here or not...However, after the class we took a 35 question test. Not sure if thats standard or not but I pretty much know what to do and so does my partner...we're just not sure if theres a certain way to estimate the procedure.

·
Registered
463 Posts
You guys must of had a productive 2 HRS .
I do some septic work but did not take the test:eek:.
Here the engineer specs the system 1000 gal tank 4" main line pump tank , raised septic beds, What ever it mite be and we install it to specs .
We just follow the directions with the materials listed .
The hard part is getting the equipment you need to be competitive .
A easy septic install here could cost 5000 dollars a large system could be 40, 000 dollars . material, labor , time on your equipment, fuel dump fee permit site plan overhead @ profit = price

John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts