Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Building detached steel barn/garage, 36x24, with a workshop. Primary loads will be 240v welder, 19amp plate, and 240v compressor, 14amp plate, some flourescent lighting and 4/5 120v outlets. Basically a one man shop so the welder and compressor would rarely, if ever, be running at same time. There is a buried line already running to the site (previous owner had a set of sheds with a workshop) with 3 THHN #8awg and single THHN #10awg ground on 50a breaker in main panel. Run is approx 120ft.

NEC tables indicate the line size is OK for distance and breaker. Do you guys think 50a is enough or should I pull some heavier gauge?

Main panel has a 200amp breaker with #1/0 aluminum service entrance.

·
Electrical Contractor
744 Posts
I sure hope you don't have a 1/0 service cable! What else is going to be there? Heater, fans, saws? Without this info we would only be guessing

·
Registered
89 Posts
waynet said:
Building detached steel barn/garage, 36x24, with a workshop. Primary loads will be 240v welder, 19amp plate, and 240v compressor, 14amp plate, some flourescent lighting and 4/5 120v outlets. Basically a one man shop so the welder and compressor would rarely, if ever, be running at same time. There is a buried line already running to the site (previous owner had a set of sheds with a workshop) with 3 THHN #8awg and single THHN #10awg ground on 50a breaker in main panel. Run is approx 120ft.

NEC tables indicate the line size is OK for distance and breaker. Do you guys think 50a is enough or should I pull some heavier gauge?

Main panel has a 200amp breaker with #1/0 aluminum service entrance.
is that run or start on the plates? its allready installed and if if cant handle it youll know. the bigest thing in this case is that the rating on the breaker fits the wire feeding the garage. i certanly cant advise past that
get an electrical inspector / journeyman / master to come out and look at it. the worst thing he can do is charge you 1/2 hr charge and then at least the advice, unlike mine would be worth something. probaly will be well the worth the 50 bucks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ryaniniowa said:
I think I'd worry more about the 1/0 aluminum entrance, it's only good for 125 Amps.
I was thinking same thing when I pulled the service panel lid and looked at the lines...gonna call SOCAL Edison friends first thing monday. :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Uncertain about meter base. It has following info:
GE
Rr 13 8/9
CL200 - 240V - FM2S - TA30
Cat# 720 x 70G37
Type
1-70-S

...also, I suspect the 200a main is original (I'm second owner of house) as it is same brand as all the other breakers, cept for one I did replace.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts