Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
3 Jacks 2 Nines
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my career, I've been fortunate enough to have been laid off only once. Can anyone explain to me what happens with field guys when they are "sent home." Is that a lay off? Do they collect unemployment? Are they welcome to start working with another company if offered a position? Or is there another type of arrangement?

I've always heard the supers talking about, "When can we call them back?" What does that mean? In all my years, never figured it out and was above my pay grade on the office side.

·
3 Jacks 2 Nines
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now that you mention it... yes... commercial work. But I've seen it both union and non-union. When union it was noted as "sending the guys back to the bench."

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
If you tell them that their services are no longer required because of a "lack of work", then yes, you are laying them off, and they will be able to collect unemployment compensation.

If you're sending them home for the day because of work not being ready, or weather, or whatever, then no, they aren't laid off.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Are they sent home for the day cause they f'd up or no work and not coming back til you find some? If no work you are laying them off. They can sign up for unemployment and you will need to give them a return to work date for the unemployment office. Date isn't set in stone just a guess, you can call them back at anytime. They will need to let unemployment office know when they go back. You can also extend the date if needed.

Employees can leave and go to another company at will. If they do they will need to let unemployment office know that as well. Try to keep some kind of tract of them while layer off if you can, the longer they are off you will be charged a percentage of the benefits they receive. Some will try to work and still collect.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts