Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are preparing for a business name change. Our target market is high- end. Question: Which terminology will attract/appeal to our target market; "Custom Remodeling" or "Custom Renovations"? Your thoughts? Thank you in advance!:thumbsup:

·
Certified Remodeler
3,207 Posts
Renovation is cliche I think, it doesn't accurately describe high or low end.

Remodeling is what it is, I would work with that.

Television has given us "Makeovers", another weak adjective. Rather than try to sum it up in your name I would consider a good name that has an action tag line.

Hawaii Remodeling

We'll make your grass skirt rustle:laughing:

·
ampman
783 Posts
renovations sounds more in depth and involved

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Excellent insight

Excellent insight to the Canadian term. We have plenty snowbirds here in Hawaii and they barely repair anything let alone renovate it!

While renovation may sound in depth and involved, that is what we're trying to capture; however, it may scare off the "I want a new kitchen in a week" folks.

In this economy I'm trying to cover all my bases and capture as much interest as possible. If only two homeowners are going to spend money on a remodel in the month of July, I want to get the call (opportunity) even if I don't get the job.

Remodeling is what it is. Mahalo all :clap:

·
Registered
595 Posts
Obviously different strokes for different folks. I think renovations sounds more professional and more high end.

Construction vs. Contracting vs. Constructors
General Construction vs. General Contracting Services vs. General Contractors
Remodeling vs. Renovations vs. Restorations

I could go on. All are good if placed well with the name of the company. It just needs to roll off the tongue.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you

I'd like to thank all of you for your input. Taking into consideration the feedback here and conversations with associates, I've decided "Remodeling" to be the best fit.:thumbsup:

·
Banned
917 Posts
We are preparing for a business name change. Our target market is high- end. Question: Which terminology will attract/appeal to our target market; "Custom Remodeling" or "Custom Renovations"? Your thoughts? Thank you in advance!:thumbsup:
I kicked this one around a lot, both have some negative connotations I think but does it matter? Being called a handyman does too (I despise being called that), but it has gotten me in so many doors, show the goods to people with the money to spend and it probably doesnt matter what you call it. Pictures! I have pictures of one tile job I did and they are a deal closer on high-end tile jobs. Slam dunk if I'm in front of a homeowner who wants the best and doesnt mind paying for it.

Much as I hate it I am going to incorporate handyman into my business profile, its a foot in the door.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,208 Posts
Much as I hate it I am going to incorporate handyman into my business profile, its a foot in the door.
I did. Like you, I resisted for a long time, but sooner or later you have to call a spade a spade. Gets kind of unwieldy insisting that you're a builder/remodeler, while doing jobs here & there that are traditionally handyman fare.

I provide building, remodeling and handyman services. That's "all".

Well, there's the occasional computer repair/tech support, too. I look cute sitting at a PC covered with the day's drywall dust. :laughing:

·
Registered
273 Posts
i chose renovations. remodeling reminded me of what my dad did in the seventies. its all the same. i just thought Osborn Custom Renovations sounded better. Although I would like to take my name out and make it a regional name. like the Olentangy which is a major watershed and also the name of a school system in our area

1 - 16 of 16 Posts