Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've more or less moved out of Fairbanks Alaska to Tacoma (moving again soon to unknown location), but I get a lot of business requests there. Should I be trying to monetize this?

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So what's a good strategy to go about this?

·
Free Sales Leads
2 Posts
Yes, what I would do, if I were you, is just call up some contractors and tell them you get leads you can't do anything with and find out if they're interested in buying them. How I've done it in the past is I've just built trust and told them to pay me a percentage of any work that they get from my leads.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had somethign similar happen with me. A competitor was planning on moving into my area, set up yellow page ads... and then they ended up not setting up shop here. They contacted me and I basically pay for the yellow page ad and took ownership of the number they had in the ad.

Perhaps something like that could work for you?

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
6,391 Posts
Yes, what I would do, if I were you, is just call up some contractors and tell them you get leads you can't do anything with and find out if they're interested in buying them. How I've done it in the past is I've just built trust and told them to pay me a percentage of any work that they get from my leads.
It'd be a cold day in he!! before I paid a percentage for a lead. I am interested to know what kind of percentage you collected from a lead tho.

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Since I've had a good amount of work it's difficult to imagine paying for leads, but I know I would if times were tougher. It's no different than paying for other methods of getting business.

Thanks for the input so far. I'm going back for a job this summer, I'll ask around.

·
Super Moderator
28,905 Posts
It'd be a cold day in he!! before I paid a percentage for a lead. I am interested to know what kind of percentage you collected from a lead tho.
I paid a few designers and realtors for signed contracts from 2010-2012, I dont any longer. Staying busy with client refferals. I give a gift card for a nice dinner to my subs or a designer when I sign something.

I have never taken a refferal fee. :thumbsup: I hope my subs reffer me (they do, regularly) and I reffer them. Same with designers.

Never had luck with Realtors. :censored::rolleyes:

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm revisiting this as I get more and more requests for work that I can't do. I'm thinking rather than selling leads, I could sell contracts and completely change what Golden View Construction is. That is my Alaska business and after a few years I will likely be living elsewhere (tired of the cold).

Up until now, I'm basically a one man show and I build about $.5-1mil value a year, but I get requests for $2mil or so. I close most jobs when I say I'm available. All via email, I took my phone number off my site 2 years ago.

I'm thinking I can form an agreement with several reputable GCs, and when I get requests, I'll follow through with the design, options, and even pricing. The entire time the customer will know what the arrangement is. After an agreement is made, one of the GCs from my pool purchases the job from me, contract signed. There's usually maybe 50-100 hours of my time involved to get to this point for a house.

I'll continue to be a GC doing the things I like to do wherever I end up, but since I have this presence in Alaska, I feel like I should keep a good thing going.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts