Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Met with one of my clients to paint three offices the other day along with my painter (sub). She gives the color book to the painter with her thumb on the color that she wants. Painter takes the book. We walk back through and make some notes and comments about schedule, etc. Painter goes in today and starts painting.

I stopped by late this afternoon to see how things are going and to check out a door that they have been having problems with. Client comes out to see who and what I am doing, she then tells me that the painters painted the walls the wrong color. I said what? Apparently the painters finger slid down to the next color on the book. the have finished two of the offices and cutting in the last one. I told her why didn't you tell us earlier? No comment. I told her if it was the wrong color we will fix it right. Repainting it the right color tomorrow. I took the color book and marked it in front of her as to the right color and gave it to one of the painters.

The question is what do you all do about the selection process to make sure there are no mistakes. On one painting job that I had done, due to the numerous color samples and different colors, I told the client that SHE had to write it down what and where it goes which she did. I want it simple but I want to protect all of us. Any ideas?

·
Registered
685 Posts
Put it in writing, and review with client before anything is purchased for the job. I had considered a line item initial box for stuff like colors, textures, or any special order items, haven't done it yet, but everything is reviewed prior to any purchase.

Ray

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This work is at a private college and it is usually fast track. I turn in a price and they want me to get started right away. I am going to start having them initial the selection and then follow up with email. I am also thinking about having them sign off after a sample is put on the wall/trim/etc to make sure they are OK with it as well. sometimes it just is not right and they want to change it some more.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I am not a painter by trade, but have done some and have run into the " it does not look like the sample, or I thought it would be darker" situation a time or two, I think the sign-off idea would work.

Ray

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This could be applied to everything. Shingles, accessories, appliances, etc. It puts the decision directly on the HO.

·
Banned
538 Posts
i replaced some nosing on a bay window, along with some casing. the H.O. handed me an old bucket of paint and told me "this is the original paint" (they wanted the bottom of the nosing painted like the old piece) i take it with me to the building supply store. they match it up, i finish prepping the underside of the bay window and nosing, slap some paint on it, it the completely wrong color. it was the paint they had used on the door and shudders!! i couldnt believe what i happened, and what was worse was i had to spread what i put on out before it dripped. in the end i painted it to match the shudders at no cost to them (ultimately its my **** up) and it ended up looking really good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts