Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
bathroom guru
1,348 Posts
I went to your website and I know you are still working on it - so heres my thoughts.

There is almost too much. I think you are trying the shotgun approach - we do everything!!

Maybe think about concentrating on what you do best (not sure what that is!)

Me, I do bathrooms. I do some other jobs, but bathrooms is 90%+ of my work.

Good luck and don't get down!!

·
General remodeling
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Hey guys, I can't thank you enough for all the information I have learned on this forum. I do want to know more about canvassing, is that the same a guerilla marketing? I am basically going to steer clear from the phone book, once I read your thoughts and opinions and put it into retrospect, I can see how it wouldn't get me to far.

Oh and DavidC sorry I didn't even realize how straining that really is to read, again good advice. I like how everyone completely breaks it down into percentages and simple math equations, I guess I failed to realize how important it really is to thoroughly evaluate everything to the smallest detail no matter how small of a company you may be, because once you can break it down and truly see how it works and where it goes it is much easier to create an effective strategy.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Rise Above,

As you know, Phoenix is a tight market right now. Getting homeowner business for remodeling is going to be tough, but aside from craigslist, get onto Kudzu.com, it's pretty popular among homeowners. DO NOT PAY to "upgrade" your account, just get your clients to give you good referrals and you'll be at the top with the "premium" payers anyway.

If you use this, do EXCELLENT work, make sure you're not overcharging, and make sure your customers are happy. Negative reviews are death on there. :w00t:

I would say if you're starting out that the best way to stay fed right now is doing reconditioning of foreclosures. You're going to have to drive between Queen Creek, Maricopa, and Goodyear (cities on COMPLETE opposite sides of the world for all y'all non-Arizonans ;)).

Put together a nice brochure (just black and white lettering, good size font, not too busy, showing your services. They should include paint, tile, carpeting, appliance installation, and fixture installation, because that's what's trashed/ripped out of all these things. Figure out what the MINIMUM you'd be comfortable charging for these on an hourly or per square foot basis for your labor and put it on the brochure with "plus materials" next to each.

After that, go onto www.ziprealty.com (or other site that allows you to see MLS listings) and set up a free account so you can see all the homes for sale on the "interactive map" option. Works for other states too. For the ones marked "Short Sale" or "Foreclosure", call up the realtor or the bank listed on there and just ask if you can Fax or email them your price list for reconditioning. If you're licensed and have good prices, the distressed asset depts of the local lenders are going to have more business than you can handle.

If you're NOT licensed, get cracking on that now. You can't legally do jobs over $1000 without it and the ROC is nailing more guys every month for that.

That'll keep you fed until the Scottsdale crowd starts doing more $100k kitchen remodels... :clap:

·
Banned
204 Posts
Canvessing does work I got two jobs a year ago from one area of town here and they were a 18,000 bath reno, and a 10,000 Kitchen re facing. I will forward you the place I get out mailers/flyers from they are 4"x6" printed on both sides with one side gloss laminate for 189.00 bucks plus tax and shipping for 5000, and thats full color cant beat the price. We are back to canvesing right now and we plan to put out 10,000 in the next two weeks (wifes not happy) BUT if we got two jobs its paid for itself :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I find that by getting to know the folks at big box stores for smaller suppliers I can sometimes generate leads.

Have a sharp looking business card that stands out and pass them out freely. I list the main areas of expertise on the back of the card.

I have been in the county "Advertiser" for several years every other week with the same little icon figure and have generated good leads out of it.

Keep at it...your work will speak volumes :thumbup:

21 - 26 of 26 Posts