Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Ive been trying to find a Journeyman for my business. I have a ton of work... I keep making Craigslist ads and getting nothing but people who want the Moon or don't have a license. The 25 dollar fee is starting to build up and it's not helping.

Is there any suggestions? Maybe someone around here who lives in the Washington area and knows of one who needs a job?

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
Just base pay. Based on Experience... so 24-26/hr.

They need a Journeymans license. That's about it...
Maybe there is enough demand that requires more pay for what you want.

Is that Journeyman's license a union or state requirement?

How do they get it?

·
GC/carpenter
43,930 Posts
griz said:
Maybe there is enough demand that requires more pay for what you want. Is that Journeyman's license a union or state requirement? How do they get it?
I think Cali now requires a journey license for electricians. Not really sure about this, but I think I read something about it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Is that Journeyman's license a union or state requirement?

How do they get it?
Then I'm losing money. 24-26 is very fair. Especially considering the work...

State requirement... requires 4 years of work.

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
I think Cali now requires a journey license for electricians. Not really sure about this, but I think I read something about it.
Then I'm losing money. 24-26 is very fair. Especially considering the work...

State requirement... requires 4 years of work.
Yes, California requires Journeymen electricians to be state certified & licensed.

Romalia, how are they certified?

Just because you think the wage is fair may be below the current going rates....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, California requires Journeymen electricians to be state certified & licensed.

Romalia, how are they certified?

Just because you think the wage is fair may be below the current going rates....
Well for one thing, Im not advertising what I'm paying in the first place... So that's not really relevant. I'm just needing a method to reach out a little better and CL just isnt working.

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
Well for one thing, Im not advertising what I'm paying in the first place... So that's not really relevant. I'm just needing a method to reach out a little better and CL just isnt working.
First off CL is the best place to find stolen items, junk & hacks....

Why are you afraid to advertise the wage you want to pay?

Skilled, qualified tradesmen aren't sitting at Starbucks waiting for their phones to ring.

Only way I have ever found to get quality mechanics is to pay them well...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,240 Posts
Why not ask at the counter guys at the supply house? They will know if anyone has been laid off because of lack of work or looking for greener pastures. They also have a pretty good handle on whether a jman knows what they're doing. It's worth a shot.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
what Tx said!

Dept of Labor would be another good idea since the usualy post on Monster, Hired and other internet search sites. The do a loose screening so you should get Journeymen as long as you specify they have their certs

·
Registered
39 Posts
Pay Up

Good electricians ain't cheap, and cheap electricians ain't good.

Better up your offer or lower your expectations and get a handyman.

Most of the guys on this site will not work for peanuts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good electricians ain't cheap, and cheap electricians ain't good.

Better up your offer or lower your expectations and get a handyman.

Most of the guys on this site will not work for peanuts.
Except no one knows what I'm offering that's not a real reason...

Seriously. All I'm asking is if anyone knows a good website or something to search for one. I don't need a critique on what I'm paying, or anything like that. I've already employed 2 other Journeyman who are very happy with what I pay them. It just seems that Indeed and Craigslist aren't good for a search...

·
Electrical Contractor
214 Posts
Just base pay. Based on Experience... so 24-26/hr.

They need a Journeymans license. That's about it...
So day one license $24.00 and fifteen year license $26.00?

Seriously though, these are probably the best answers given.

Why not ask at the counter guys at the supply house? They will know if anyone has been laid off because of lack of work or looking for greener pastures. They also have a pretty good handle on whether a jman knows what they're doing. It's worth a shot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts