Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for the best solution for a water intrusion situation where a multi-family building is built on a slab with brick exterior. A walk-in closet is taking on water from the exterior wall during rains. I have spray-tested to confirm the location of intrusion. On the outside is a bed of landscape rock extending 4'-5' from house. There are junipers growing 2'-3' out from house. That factor, combined with a relatively flat grade appears to me to leave a french drain out of the question. I can move the landscape rock and build up grade, but I am still concerned about the path that water travelled to get inside. My question is should I install some type of barrier (membrane? sealer?) between wall and soil? Slab is very close to grade level, and I think I am going to be limited as to much I can build up grade. Any advice? Thanks

·
Contractor
7,433 Posts
Dig it up, apply a membrane, or roll on waterproofing. Install draintile to daylight if possible. Maybe even add some drainage board to the wall.

·
Vagitarian
3,589 Posts
I have seen places where the dirt has settled around the foundation and the landscaper instead of filling it back up with dirt so that water pitches away, just fills the hole in with landscaping stone. Water could be directed through the stone to a low spot. Maybe take a shovel and dig back the stone before tearing everything up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts