Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
Pfffttt. The reason pricing isn't discussed here is because the lawyers for the owners of this site forbid it. They don't want any discussion that even remotely smells of collusion, price fixing, or restraint of trade. Construction work or websites, you don't take unnecessary risks with the feds.
You should go dig up some of the old pricing threads, including a bunch started by Nathan himself 馃憤

They inevitably turned into complete $)(t shows and fights. 馃ぃ

They almost all ended up with Mods issuing warnings to members for insulting each other, and shutting down the threads.

Now, they just skip all the fun and shut them down right away. 馃憤馃ぃ

Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
We talk about pricing all the time here.

Someone will say what a project is worth/what they are charging, etc.

Someone asking if they are getting ripped off because their drywaller is charging $2.00/sf to install and finish, is an impossible question for us to answer.

Registered
Pfffttt. The reason pricing isn't discussed here is because the lawyers for the owners of this site forbid it. They don't want any discussion that even remotely smells of collusion, price fixing, or restraint of trade. Construction work or websites, you don't take unnecessary risks with the feds.
Other than the good points above, pricing is useless here. Is such an elementary matter really that tough for you to understand. When I鈥檓 working from Corpus Christi Tx. , to Lake Charles La, to Gulf Shores Alabama, Atlanta Ga to Florida Keys, huge difference in every trade. So how could it be useful to any swinging sack. It鈥檚 not Chinese math

Mike

Registered
So while we're on the subject how much should I charge to do anything and everything even if I don't know how to do it?

Registered
Much more than if you read about it or thought about doing it, but might not, or could have in a different life.

It varies.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
Warren, did you do ok money wise? I have a few I'm looking at but prices are just crazy. A few on my street went for cheap and I'm kicking myself for not jumping.
Joe:
I do a lot of research. Had been looking on and off for probably 9 months before pulling the trigger. Seems like prices have cooled off a bit here, and before the ink was dry on our check, we were looking again. The one I bought was 100 years old, and almost 2400 sq ft. My next one can't be both old and large. I also look for the ones with obvious structural damage, and ones that have sat for a while.

You really do need to buy at the right price to make any money. I accounted for all hours worked, materials, subs, utilities, taxes, and all sales costs. Ended up doing pretty well, but I am sure most of that was due to our purchase price.

Currently, looking for one to work on through the Winter, and have it for sale in the Spring. Will need to find it in the next 4 to 6 weeks to make that happen. Not gonna pull the trigger unless the price is right, plenty of other work options for us I think.

Registered
[QUOTE="S

Someone asking if they are getting ripped off because their drywaller is charging $2.00/sf to install and finish, is an impossible question for us to answer.
[/QUOTE]
Back in 2011 that would have been a huge ripoff, now it鈥檚 pretty close to normal.

Registered
Warren, good to hear you did well. You are on point with the purchase price, I built new construction with a money guy a couple years back. He ended up losing about 70k because of conservation and a illegal drainage line the town make him pay to the tune of 50k. He bought the property and had the prints done before I came on board.

My wife and guys ask why we haven't gotten into any flips. It's taken me 10 years or so of saving and a loss on the first on will set me back 5-10 years, need a homerun on the first. The thought of controlling my own schedule and no customers sounds like a dream. We'll see I have a few builders who would back me if I find the right deal, I'd rather do it all myself.

Super Moderator
Warren, good to hear you did well. You are on point with the purchase price, I built new construction with a money guy a couple years back. He ended up losing about 70k because of conservation and a illegal drainage line the town make him pay to the tune of 50k. He bought the property and had the prints done before I came on board.

My wife and guys ask why we haven't gotten into any flips. It's taken me 10 years or so of saving and a loss on the first on will set me back 5-10 years, need a homerun on the first. The thought of controlling my own schedule and no customers sounds like a dream. We'll see I have a few builders who would back me if I find the right deal, I'd rather do it all myself.
Definitely do it yourself. Sucks to do most of the work and have to split with someone else. I was able to do mine without financing. That is a huge plus also. Turned ours around in 90 days, with about 50k in repairs. Possibly pulling the trigger on another one this week. Small one, so hopefully, less work.

Kowboy
If regional variations making pricing questions useless were really the reasoning behind the ban instead of the fear of restraint of trade allegations, then why not lift the ban, and let's let the marketplace of ideas determine whether pricing questions and answers are useful.

If the information proves useless, people will stop asking. When they stop asking, no ban is necessary.

Registered
GC
[QUOTE="S

Back in 2011 that would have been a huge ripoff, now it鈥檚 pretty close to normal.
[/QUOTE]
I'd be thrilled to get completed drywall for $2 a foot!

Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
If regional variations making pricing questions useless were really the reasoning behind the ban instead of the fear of restraint of trade allegations, then why not lift the ban, and let's let the marketplace of ideas determine whether pricing questions and answers are useful.

If the information proves useless, people will stop asking. When they stop asking, no ban is necessary.
Because we've been there, tried that, and it didn't work. Mind-boggling that you've been here since 2009 and have managed to avoid seeing that.

And no, they won't stop asking. The internet has an endless supply of noobs. It's far more helpful to teach them how to price than to throw out a random what to price that probably doesn't fit their situation. But I guess you're okay with misguiding folks that way.

Registered
I'd be thrilled to get completed drywall for $2 a foot!
[/QUOTE]
About $1.75/ square foot here. That鈥檚 for tract crap lower level 4 with ****ty crow stomp.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts