Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello:

I bought a fixer-uper in the country. It's not in a bad location and seems to have nice neighbors nearby. What are some things I can do to secure it while I am working on making it livable (mostly to protect it from the odd 16 year old kid from breaking in. I have thought about plywood over the windows, or bars And security doors. Do you guys have any sugestions. What about these ?

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=99796-950-25160210&detail=&lpage=none

Thanks (have a nice thanksgiving)

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Hello:

I bought a fixer-uper in the country. It's not in a bad location and seems to have nice neighbors nearby. What are some things I can do to secure it while I am working on making it livable (mostly to protect it from the odd 16 year old kid from breaking in. I have thought about plywood over the windows, or bars And security doors. Do you guys have any sugestions. What about these ?

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=99796-950-25160210&detail=&lpage=none

Thanks (have a nice thanksgiving)

I would have the house properly boarded up.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The only true way to stop break ins is someone there. I second the "squater" or laborer who gets free rent to watch over it then during the day works on it.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I like the idea of the rotweiler, with it's vocal chords cut ... years ago in Lubbock a service station would release some rattlesnakes for security at night .... I love surprises

·
Registered
183 Posts
a chair some string and a shot gun

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Something we have done a few times.

Find someone retired with a RV motorhome or trailer. Give them a small monthly fee and they can park there and watch the place, and provide power and water for their RV. Also figure out a way to hookup to the sewer/septic. Gives them a free place to park, free power, and a few bucks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts