Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello and thanks in advance for your help- searching a very long time for help on the net. I put up 2 traditional cameras in rectangular heated housings. I ran 3/4 conduit on the rear of my building that runs out and up 10 feet then splits from a 4 inch junction box to each camera 10 feet right and left. Each camera is tied to a junction box that has two spotlights mounted on the front. There is a liquid tight line from the junction box to each of the cameras. Trying to keep it neat clean and simple, I pulled coaxial cable, 14 gauge power wire, and 18/2 wire enclosed in a protective casing through the conduit and it is tight. Inside the building, out of the junction box, the coaxial (to a monitor/dvr) and 18/2 (to a 24v power box) exit 2 different holes with 3/8 nm clamps and the two 14 wires continues out another hole through conduit to a timer to a breaker panel box. I also have 3 dome cameras on the side of the building that come in directly behind each base. Inside the building, the 18/2 (now) follows outside the 1/2 inch conduit for the side lights 2+ inches away and comes down the back wall to that 16 camera 24v power box that feeds the two rear cameras in question. More cameras to be added inside.

I saw codes in Chicago where the 18/2 and probably the coaxial has to be at least 2 inches away from the 14 gauge power. Is this right? Also there seems to be an option to separate the 18/2 or low voltage with some sort of tubing, but not sure what it is or where to find it. I really don't want to run a separate conduit outside and with just the 14 gauge I now see i could have used 1/2 inch if i don't have the coaxial and 18/2 in there. I am thinking of pulling the coaxial out and running it in the building near the camera and putting some sort of sleeve over the 18/2 now that I would have space inside the 3/4 conduit.

The 18/2 has a protective casing enclosing wires that are covered coated and not bare but I think the code still does not allow it.

Thoughts, suggestions, help!!!!! How do you do it? Can I use blue 1/2 ent inside the 3/4 emt? If so,do they make smaller 3/8 or 1/4inch ent? Thanks!

·
Registered
618 Posts
I've never seen 1/4" EMT, 3/8" flex armor cable yes. I would suggest you run 1/2" EMT about 2-4" pararell to the 3/4" pipe to a 4x4 junction box and use that as your box for camera #1 and the connection point for another 1/2" conduit running to camera #2. For camera #2, you can use flex steel cable or liquid tight non metalic if you don't want to pipe a long distance..looks tacky using flex but the job still works just fine. You can however use flex tubing/conduit for your whole home run if you wish..looks like crap though but it would work. Putting the low volt and regular 120 in the same pipe may cause some issues.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Hello and thanks in advance for your help- searching a very long time for help on the net. I put up 2 traditional cameras in rectangular heated housings. I ran 3/4 conduit on the rear of my building that runs out and up 10 feet then splits to each camera 10 feet right and left. Each camera is tied to a junction box that has two spotlights. There is a liquid tight line from the junction box to the camera. Trying to keep it neat clean and simple, I pulled coaxial cable, 14 gauge power wire, and 18/2 wire enclosed in a protective casing through the conduit and it is tight. Inside, out of the junction box, the coaxial (to a monitor/dvr) and 18/2 (to a 24v power box) exit 2 different holes with 3/8 nm clamps and the two 14 wires continues out another hole through conduit to a timer to a breaker panel box. I also have 3 dome cameras on the side of the building that come in directly behind each base. Inside the building, the 18/2 (now) follows outside the 1/2 inch conduit for the side lights 2+ inches away and comes down the back wall to that 16 camera 24v power box with more cameras to be added inside.

I saw codes in Chicago where the 18/2 and probably the coaxial has to be at least 2 inches away from the 14 gauge power. Is this right? Also there seems to be an option to separate the 18/2 or low voltage with some sort of tubing, but not sure what it is or where to find it. I really don't want to run a separate conduit outside and with just the 14 gauge I now see i could have used 1/2 inch if i don't have the coaxial and 18/2 in there. I am thinking of pulling the coaxial out and running it in the building near the camera and putting some sort of sleeve over the 18/2 now that I would have space inside the 3/4 conduit.

The 18/2 has a protective casing enclosing wires that are covered coated and not bare but I think the code still does not allow it.

Thoughts, suggestions, help!!!!! How do you do it? Can I use blue 1/2 ent inside the 3/4 emt? If so,do they make smaller 3/8 or 1/4inch ent? Thanks!
Is this guy really an electrician?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Sorry guys, I am new to the forum and was seeking help from an electrician and didn't realize it was referring to my field instead of the field of interest in answering my question. I am just a remodeler and general handyman. I've done alot of basic electrical work, but this is my first time with the low voltage code and wiring next to 120volt. I know emt is not less than 1/2 inch. I said 1/4 inch ENT not EMT. I came across it in a search on the situation. It is like a poly or pvc sleeve to protect it from the 120c within the same emt conduit. I would think any electrician with low voltage experience would know this stuff well. I greatly appreciate any advice, but I am trying to avoid running a second parallel conduit for the extra work but especially looks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.