Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am finishing up building a mobile blasting truck. I was wondering what others have done for securing their lids for their pots while driving? I'm pretty sure they would be air-borne within a block or 2 if I didn't. I was thinking of using a bungee cord but wondered if there was a better way?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Tack weld 2 eye hooks to the pot then 2 chains to the lid with a clip at the end of the chain. We spray the inside of the lids with spray foam so it seals tight

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Unless your a ASME coded shop, welding on a pressure vessel voids your blast pots certification big time. Call and ask you blast pot manufacture about welding on their blast pot. You own the pot, but they own the pot certification for being a pressure vessel. Which is nothing more than a potential bomb if defective. Just putting that out there.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a welder who welds all our rigging gear he also just built a bulk pot for us. Im just trying to help the guy out. Tack welds on a pot won't effect a thing if u have even a small bit of what ur doing

·
Registered
62 Posts
Spray foam on the inside of the lid. Not needed just something we do on our small rigs to make sure u don't piss off a biker riding behind you

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
It still goes against the certified ASME code. Any welding to a pressure vessel by a non certified shop voids the certification of that vessel. I built a 36 ton bulk pot in the past, but I was working for a ASME shop and the vessel was tested and certified before use. With today's standards and if anyone ever gets hurt, there are too many lawyers that wants to get involved. I've see what a lid from a canned sand flying off will do to the bottom side of a hopper due to bad welds breaking off under pressure. Good thing is no one was around the landing zone that the lid landed in. The guy standing at the pot though soiled his britches when it went boom!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Yeah, it was for shop use. We was building huge miter gates for the Corps of Engineers for the river lock system. That blast pot had five TV II's under it and we had another blast pot rented that held a truckload of abrasive and then it had a bulk hopper sitting above it. That pot had 8 outlets on it. It used the old Key Valves and Pinch Valves. We had all 13 blast nozzles running on that job for over two weeks. Ran 24/7 till completed. We ran miter gates on another job for two years for the Louisville district on the Ohio river project.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I can see where it fits. Makes logical sense to me. It would make the lid fit tight to the blast pot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts