Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you guys secure your ladders to the racks on your trailers? I have yet to find a good way to do it.

Thanks

·
Fentoozler
5,623 Posts
....might want to see what the DOT has to say :whistling

·
WICKED WOODCHUCKER
893 Posts
We use bungies but I hate them. I really need to make the switch. I'd like to find something that is fast and very secure. hate messing with those stupid bungies!!!

·
Registered
515 Posts
I know a guy who uses "re-usable" zip ties and he's never had a problem. My KargoMaster ProII rack has the factory ratchet straps which are real nice.

Years ago I used to use bungee cords. I was down at the courthouse getting permits one day and came out, hopped in the van, and drove off. Had a mini-van in front of me slam on the brakes; I did the same and both ladders went thru her rear window....some one had disconnected the bungees. Thankfully no one else was in her van and no one was hurt. There was a budget auto glass place about 1 block away. A $289 lesson. Now by habit I always check anything that is strapped.

·
Registered
313 Posts
ratchet straps are the only way to go. I cringe when I see bungies or anything less than a ratchet strap being used.
I use ratchets as well, I got T-boned a few years ago in a van, the ladders were bungied to the racks, needless to say the ladders were all over the road.

celtic; said:
....might want to see what the DOT has to say :whistling
I'm not too sure but I believe DOT says they need to be "locked & secured" but does not say how or specify with what size cable....etc.....WRONG...lol

·
Registered
313 Posts
OK so I went looking, and here is what I found...

Seems like overkill to me, but here it is

TITLE XXI
MOTOR VEHICLES

CHAPTER 266
EQUIPMENT OF VEHICLES

Safety Devices Required for Transporting

Section 266:70

266:70 Securing Construction Equipment on Vehicles. –
I. No motor truck, trailer or semi-trailer, while being used to transport construction equipment, shall be driven on the ways of the state unless such load on each such unit is bound by:
(a) Not less than 2 chains and binders made of not less than 3/8 inch wire; or
(b) Not less than 2 steel cables and binders; or
(c) Not less than 2 turnbuckles of comparable strength to the devices in subparagraphs (a) and (b).
II. Such chains, cables or turnbuckles shall be held firmly in place and shall be properly placed to secure the load. Source. RSA 263:68-d. 1977, 476:1. 1981, 146:1, eff. Jan. 1, 1982.

·
Registered
151 Posts
For ladders I always put a bungy cord front and back to keep the rattle down then use nylon cinch straps as the CYA measure. The cinch straps are quicker than rachet straps and still plenty strong without the trailing 15 ft piece to wrap up.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Never trust those bungies.

I had a 32' ladder fly off the truck while doing about 70 MPH about 10 years back, - - I didn't hear a thing, but the corner of my eye spotted the movement in my rear view mirror. The car a fair distance behind me 'veered' out of the way, luckily. It landed right across the center of the 3 south-bound lanes. About a dozen vehicles veered every whichaway and a few ran right over it. I was able back up on the shoulder, and then run out there and drag it off to the side, which was risky as hell in itself. I got it back on the truck and was just pulling away as a state trooper rode by. Whew!!

I was damn lucky nobody got hurt or killed. Some of the broken pieces of bungies were still laying in the bed.

After that I bolted permanent chains right to the racks and used those oval steel screw links to connect them after wrapping, and then used bungies just for additional vibration hold-down.

·
framer
154 Posts
The best thing I have found are those big Zip Ties the HVAC guys use for duct insulation, I'm not sure where they get them, but thet leave them lying arround the job all the time!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Agree on not trusting bungies, never lost anything but I've seen some sawhorses that were leaning again the truck box start rising up. Thankfully I saw it and pulled over and put 4 more on to hold it in place. These are like what I use in addition to the bungies.

Dumbest thing I have ever seen was a truck going down 195 in NJ with 4 bags of Sakrete on the truck box with NOTHING holding them. Hope like hell they never had to stop short, on the plus side the concrete dust would probably soak all that blood up nicely.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
When I was looking for rack straps for my Kodiak 4500. I really liked the Rack-Straps RS1, but did not like the price of almost $100 each. Then one day I was at a local supply house getting some hydraulic hoses made, Williams Oil Filter Service. On the shelf I found these straps Keeper Rack-Ratchet for less than $20 each, so I bought 4 of them since the price was right and it would be nicer with 4 straps instead of just 2. So far no problems and they have been great and I got 4 of these for the price of 1 Rack-Strap.

http://www.keepercorp.com/prod/rack-ratchet.htm

If you do a google shopping search they can be found as cheap as $15.

·
Starving Tile Artist
1,216 Posts
2" heavy duty ratchet straps with "J" hooks.

The only sensible way to go. Besides that, they are multi taskers.

·
Smart phone? Scan me!
2,137 Posts
I learned the hard way with bungies myself. I had about 10 sheets of smooth board siding on top my ladder racks and had it all quadrupedal bungied in every direction.. the ole' hitting the brakes and they all came off the rack one by one.. it amazed me that people would run over the sheets instead of farking waiting for me to move em.. was on a street too :mad: so anyway that was the time I decided the ratchet straps were going to be bought and used from then on. I have probably 10 sets in the back of the truck at all times now.

·
Jeff
1,485 Posts
I learned the hard way with bungies myself. I had about 10 sheets of smooth board siding on top my ladder racks and had it all quadrupedal bungied in every direction.. the ole' hitting the brakes and they all came off the rack one by one.. it amazed me that people would run over the sheets instead of farking waiting for me to move em.. was on a street too :mad: so anyway that was the time I decided the ratchet straps were going to be bought and used from then on. I have probably 10 sets in the back of the truck at all times now.

Haha a little offtopic but bought a box of vinyl soffit one day supposed to be a full box. Had the yardtards put it on my rack i strapped it down peeled out of the parking lot. First stop sign i pulled away from was on a pretty steep uphill grade, end of the damn box wasnt sealed and like 15 of those nice white panels skated out of the box. And same thing, every gd person behind me ran over the chit as i was trying to pick it up.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts