Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A potential client wants to install vinyl replacement windows in houses that are to be Section 8 housing. He asked me NOT to quote for Low E and Argon in an effort to be cheap. Are there any guidelines for what is required for Section 8 rentals? Where would I go to find the answer to this question? I looked online, but I don't know much about how Section 8 works. I just figured, if it's government, there will be regulations.

Thanks,

Kevin

·
Fentoozler
5,623 Posts
"Section 8" falls under HUD guidelines.... Pennsylvania

I have NOT read about improvements...you may find some guidance in an inspection section[If there is one ???].
Section 8 units must meet certain requirements to be eligible for the program.

www.hud.gov

·
Registered
547 Posts
Don't forget about safety grates if required. Make sure who is responsible is spelled out.
I would imagine they will need to meet your areas energy guidelines as well, so don't let his penny pinching ways jamb you up too

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
A potential client wants to install vinyl replacement windows in houses that are to be Section 8 housing. He asked me NOT to quote for Low E and Argon in an effort to be cheap. Are there any guidelines for what is required for Section 8 rentals? Where would I go to find the answer to this question? I looked online, but I don't know much about how Section 8 works. I just figured, if it's government, there will be regulations.

Thanks,

Kevin
Last I knew, 6 months ago, no regulations about windows, except they had to be there!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Section 8

AS FAR AS SECTION 8 WINDOWS- The program wants 1 window per bedroom to pass egress code of 5.0 sq ft of clearance to escape in case of emergency. Most section 8 inspectors arent as difficult as city inspectors which ask 5.7 sq ft of clearance AND want you to install a certified energy efficient window with a u factor under .35 and a shgc of under .40 I believe. In order to get this you need a low-e-glass vinyl window dual glazed minimum(dual glazed aluminum will NOT pass for city inspection).

If its section 8 only asking.... They will pass it with a replacement window being at least 36" wide x 48" tall, or a 48" x 48" xo slider window, or a 36" x 36" casement outswing window.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I think every place is a little different due to how funding is set up.

Here, they can put a window in for a window, but usually don't.

We have to follow local city/county regulations and then HUD can dictate what they also want. LowE/Argon or specific egress regulations.

If you are low ballin for someone, make sure you state specifics in what you are quoting. Trust me being detailed is NOT going overboard.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts