Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was doing a Google search for something related to tile the other day, and came across the eHow website. Like most free article resources, it allows anyone to write and post articles on just about any topic.

A few gems I came across while browsing the tile related articles:

"Slate tile is tough enough that you can forego (sic) the usual underlayment of cement board and lay it directly on your wood subfloor"
http://www.ehow.com/how_5455661_lay-slate-tile-wood-subfloor.html

"Lay cement board over the whole floor, installing it with carpenter's glue and screws set every square foot."
http://www.ehow.com/how_5482089_install-tile-bathroom-floor.html

Installing slate tile: "Spread mastic tile adhesive with a notched trowel."
http://www.ehow.com/how_2083592_lay-slate-flooring.html

:eek:

In the drive for search engine supremacy and ad sales, crap like this is being churned out at an alarming rate. Plug in "how to..." to any search engine and most of what comes up is pure garbage.

I think I'll write something on how to do a heart transplant... How hard could it be right? A little research, some catchy prose, and BAM... I'm an instant expert. :rolleyes:

·
Carpe Diem
20,717 Posts
I think I'll write something on how to do a heart transplant... How hard could it be right? A little research, some catchy prose, and BAM... I'm an instant expert. :rolleyes:
I don't know Chris. With some of the work I've seen you do, you might be able to pull off some open heart surgery!

Same thing with Yahoo answers. If you want some entertainment, search around there. Now I know where all the online geniuses hang out :rolleyes:

http://answers.yahoo.com/

·
Fentoozler
5,623 Posts
I saw a "DIY Root Canal kit" once :laughing:

·
bathroom guru
1,348 Posts
Thats why you have to re-educate people - especially the ones who have gone the route you have shown. As you guys know, I only do tile showers and tub surrounds. If I am at a prospective clients house who is looking to have old "failed" tile (especially shower), I spend some time and give them a history of tile installation including what I call "THE BLACK PLAGUE" of the tile industry, or rather, showers and tub surrounds being constructed with drywall and mastic. I then educate them on our methods to complete a tile installation.

Most People would prefer tile over acrylic or cultured crap, or whatever.
A lot are simply afraid they are going to end up with a mouldy/leaking shower that is hard to maintain.

The funny thing, its because of changes in tile installation from mud to drywall and the subsequent failures that created and indeed fostered the entire acrylic and fibreglass industry

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I bet the lawyers on the failed heart transplant team are a little more avaricious than those on the failed tile bathroom floor team.

But personally, I think you probably could do transplants with the right Felker.

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
Heart Transplant

Step 1 Attach ecut saw blade to fein multimaster unit. Apply flame to blade with propane torch. DO NOT NEGLECT TO PERFORM THIS CRITICAL STERILIZATION PROCEDURE.

Step 2 Instruct your support staff (Save money and hire them at your local home depot. Why pay worker's comp and insurance for manual labor anyway?) to restrain the vic... patient

Step 3 Insert earplugs. In your ears.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I saw one on yahoo for building an "octagon" bench. First it said to take your 5 boards and lay them around a tree. Yeah 5 board to make an octagon????? Then instead of just using angle trace the boards over each other so you know where to cut them and then stack them on top of each other to make sure they are the same size. Wow I bets that the best looking 5 sided octagon ever.

·
Tiling & Bath Contractor
270 Posts
Hey, just think. If it wasn't for these wonderful 'how to' gems, we wouldn't have as much work fixing the mistakes. :clap:

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey, just think. If it wasn't for these wonderful 'how to' gems, we wouldn't have as much work fixing the mistakes. :clap:
I agree. A crappy job is always easier to tear out! :thumbup:

I LOVE finding tile over plywood. The last bathroom I took apart was faced in 3/8" on EVERY surface. Not a single stitch of plaster or drywall. Cleanest demo I've had in a LONG time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts