Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. just would like any input as to what some are the things that you guys would consider some of the duties of a secretary would include for a roofing company. About to hire one, just would like any ideas or input as to what all their duties should include.

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
I assume it would be the same as any office manager/secretary for a contracting company. If you are about to hire one, don't you have a good idea of what you want them to do? Isn't this why you are hiring one, to take over some of the things you do now? And I'm not trying to be ignorant, but you better know what they are to do, as you will be telling them their duties when you hire them. Or, maybe I am missing the point of your post?

Good Lord, I hope Bob doesn't find this thread. :eek:

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
1.Organize man hours and crew sheets daily.
2.Keep advertising targeted and scheduled.
3.Accounts payable.
4.Answer the phones.
5.Schedule the leads.
6.Handle walk-ins.
7.Make coffee.
8.Back massage for me.
9.Wash my feet.
10.Prepare my lunch.
11.****** and ***** with **** to find the **** to****.
12.And Judy adds "and much much more"

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
This copied directly out of my corporate manual. I currently do not have an assistant but plan to hire one February 06. I will probably revise it at that time to meet my current situation.

-----------------------------

Assistant Job Duties

In the morning check for leads. First check faxes, then phone messages, then e-mail. If there are any leads to be accepted (fax or e-mail) contact Tom to discuss details before acceptance. Not all leads will be accepted.

Contact all leads accepted to notify them that we have their information and will be stopping out in the next day or two. Ask them when will be a convenient time for them so they can meet with one of our estimators and when they give you a time and date tell them that the estimator will contact them to confirm the appointment.

If there are any written estimates for you to type they will be sitting on your desk. Type the estimate and return it to the estimator to proof read. After the estimate has been proof read, the estimator will return it to you with any changes and possibly brochures. If the job has large brochures use a large envelope. When mailing estimates, always be sure to include a return envelope. Large packages require multiple stamps. Do not forget to put the job number on the estimate folder.

There may be invoices on your desk to be mailed. Type an envelope with the customer’s information or use a window envelope if possible. Copy the information from the mailing address section of the invoice. Include a return envelope with every invoice sent out.

There may be notes left on your desk by Tom for additional work to be done. Usually this will consist of customers to call with scheduling information or calling leads to verify the addresses. If you are waiting for someone to return your call it is important to be persistent. Call them back if you do not hear from them within reasonable amount of time. Remind yourself of unfinished tasks so Tom does not have to.

When things become slow make sure spreadsheets are up to date. Ask Tom what to do.

If someone calls to Tom and I am not in the office, take a message then call me on my cell phone to let me know that this person called. If I am in the office, ask who it is and put them on hold then let me know the nature of the call. If I am on another line, ask who it is then inform the customer that I am on another line. Give them the option of holding or leaving a message. Do not let anyone hold for longer than 2 minutes!

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
One of the recent duties that I've added to my office girl is to comb eBay in her downtime for new stock of the brand and model of certain items that we commonly use. Often, we can pick up some common stuff for 1/10 the wholesale cost, even after shipping. I don't mind carrying a little inventory.

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
mdshunk said:
One of the recent duties that I've added to my office girl is to comb eBay in her downtime for new stock of the brand and model of certain items that we commonly use. Often, we can pick up some common stuff for 1/10 the wholesale cost, even after shipping. I don't mind carrying a little inventory.
Word. I get sandpaper, tape, dust masks, masking paper, etc. for dirt cheap off ebay.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts