Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the seamless gutter business and struggle with how to wrap a bay window. Specifically I have an issue with the backs of the gutter. As a one-man show, on a small bay section I assemble as many sections on the ground as I can carry to the roof, riveting the backs. On a large bay section, I am not able to carry a large awkward piece up to the roof, so I have to join the backs of the separate sections with screws while it is resting in the Guttermates on the fascia. I don't like this. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I read your post three times and I'm still confused.

It's it's seamless, what are you assembling?

If it's seamless, how are you making the bends around the bay?

What is your question exactly?

·
Gutter Hanger
280 Posts
I've just thrown the sections up in Gutter Mates and then put them together with strip miters while they're up there. Put several sections together before you start pitching them and screwing the hangers in.
Leave the end where you have to install the next miter hanging loose so that it's easier to maneuver into position for the strip miter to be installed.

Don't know how you can hang gutters by yourself. Hire a helper.
A lot of times it's not that big of a deal. Many times I've done up to a 50 footer alone if it's not windy and the fascia isn't too high in the air.
Gutter Mates are pricey but I couldn't work without them on the days that my part time guys aren't available.
http://www.guttersupply.com/p-gutter-tools-guttermate.gstml

I read your post three times and I'm still confused.

It's it's seamless, what are you assembling?

If it's seamless, how are you making the bends around the bay?

What is your question exactly?
Technically, they aren't seamless when you have to wrap around any kind of corner. Sections have to be joined somehow, either by use of strip or box miters or or hand mitered. Opinions on how this is best done vary widely.

·
water re-locater
7,511 Posts
22.5 degree bay mitre. Looks like a strip mitre but for bays. Add 5" to the gutter if has mitre on both ends. Trace the angle of the bay mitre on the ground and install one gutter at a time. Never seen gutters put together on ground and then try to be hung.

·
water re-locater
7,511 Posts
I had to work alone a long time ago for a week cause my helper quit. Can hang up to a 55' gutter alone. It's possible to do some jobs by yourself but you'll burn yourself out in no time. Even just a helper to go back and forth to truck will make your job more bearable

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I learn a lot through CT. I thought I was about to learn how to do seamless around corners. lol. Not being sarcastic either. You just never know what you'll learn on here.

I have to hang a 50' today. I never heard of a guttermate that doesn't breathe. lol, so I learned that. The only guttermate that I was aware of is to recycle rain water.

I'm going to recruit some help.

·
water re-locater
7,511 Posts
jb4211 said:
I learn a lot through CT. I thought I was about to learn how to do seamless around corners. lol. Not being sarcastic either. You just never know what you'll learn on here. I have to hang a 50' today. I never heard of a guttermate that doesn't breathe. lol, so I learned that. The only guttermate that I was aware of is to recycle rain water. I'm going to recruit some help.
You're not alone in your " seamless around a corner comment". Hear it once a week lol.

·
General Contractor
8,081 Posts
Cut the gutter on the angle (22.5 degrees) and screw the gutter to a miter strip corner, then seal it, screw it and install one gutter at a time on the house.
I'm not the gutter man, but I've seen how the guys did this on the house I built, it also had a bay. This is when it was done.

Good luck and I hope it helps

Attachments

·
Gutter Hanger
280 Posts
Yup, I should have mentioned to use bay miters instead of simply "strip miters". Sorry about that.
I've done a couple like NYGUTTERGUY and Greg pictured, but fortunately they were stepladder height!
NYGUTTERGUY also brought up another good point. Always remember to add to your overall length when going around any outside corner. Then make your cut so that the back side of the gutter matches up with your fascia length. Sometimes you can even leave it a quarter inch or so shorter to give you some room to work within your miter, because oftentimes the miter isn't the exact same profile as your gutter and doesn't match up quite perfectly.

·
Registered
128 Posts
How does the guttermate detach once the gutter is installed?

It looks like you just raise it slightly and "slide" it off of the nail or screw that is holding it.

If so, does that mean that you drive the screw or nail behind, above or below the final resting place of your gutter?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the feedback, especially those pointing out the "seamlesness" of a bay miter. lol. As I mentioned, I try to join as many pieces on the ground as I can effectively carry to the roof. I prefer using rivets on the back of the gutter and just don't like having to screw the backs of the pieces that I end up joining together on the roof. Like jb4211 noted, I was hoping to find that there was a better way. As for strip miters, I just don't like the look of them. If they matched the contour of the gutter better, I would not have a problem, but I HATE all the wrinkling.
Thanks for the comments.

·
Gutter Hanger
280 Posts
How does the guttermate detach once the gutter is installed?

It looks like you just raise it slightly and "slide" it off of the nail or screw that is holding it.

If so, does that mean that you drive the screw or nail behind, above or below the final resting place of your gutter?
Gutter Mates work like a roof jack. When it's time for removal, you hit the bottom with a hammer and they pop out. It's always best to remove them 2 or 3 hangers away as your installing so that they don't get pinned tightly to the fascia by the gutter. I use roofing nails because of the flatter head. In fact I often double nail because I've seen the heads pop off of roofing nails.
I always nail behind where the gutter will fall so that nail heads aren't visible after the Gutter Mate is removed. If you don't nail securely, there's always a chance that it can wiggle back & forth and act as a pry bar one the gutter is laying in it and pop the nail out of the fascia. Not good when you have a 60 or 70 foot piece of gutter being supported by it.

·
Gutter Hanger
280 Posts
As for strip miters, I just don't like the look of them. If they matched the contour of the gutter better, I would not have a problem, but I HATE all the wrinkling.
Thanks for the comments.
So are you doing hand miters on these 45 degree cuts? I agree that the strips (or box miters on 90 degree miters) never fit exactly the profile of the gutter, but that's the price I pay to greatly speed things up. But screws or rivets usually tighten them up enough that they're presentable.
If you watch any YouTube videos of guys doing hand miters, they make a pattern out of their own gutter. That way the pattern is the exact contour of your gutters. I use a miter saw for most of my cuts and then slide them into the miter, even when I use box miters. It makes for one seam instead of having to caulk 3 seams like you would sliding a square cut gutter into the miter. (seam for each gutter plus the factory crimp of the miter)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts