Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
GC/carpenter
43,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's three renderings for a deck I'm doing right now. What's your opinions as to where the seam boards should go? The side yard decks are ok it's the dark colored seam boards that we're debating. (The back of the home) thanks in advance.

Sample 1
Text Diagram Technical drawing Floor plan Drawing

Sample 2
Diagram Text Plan Technical drawing Drawing

Sample 3
Diagram Text Technical drawing Drawing Plan

·
GC/carpenter
43,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
skillman said:
How about angle deck boards . Or was that ruled out .
Ruled out. I asked her about it. I was trumped. This is the final design just trying to figure a good seam board location

·
GC/carpenter
43,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bob hutson said:
I like 3 to get seams away from windows/ doors...imop
I was waiting for someone to say that. This is what the owner is concerned about as well. I didn't say that in the original post to keep from contaminating the suggestions.

But it can now be a part of the discussion.

The only thing with three is it leaves a small area to right. My concern is it might look awkward proportionally.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I would move the joist over or add one so the cuts on that side arent so short., may be a few more scrap pieces but... I try to make all of mine even so there is less scrap Im sure you do also..

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
6,357 Posts
I'd go with #2 unless of course the customer wanted something else, it's their choice.

·
GC/carpenter
43,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, Redwood came up with the idea to add another Seam board to the left side corner on number 3.

Andy, the seam boards get rid of joints.

·
GC/carpenter
43,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, Redwood came up with the idea to add another Seam board to the left side corner on number 3 if we a absolutely had to go with number 3 but he actually chose number 1. The Home Owner is not cool with the seam in the middle of the door ways.

Andy, the seam boards get rid of joints. It's a big deal when a gun clip only fits on one joist. So if there's a butt joint this way your not adding a scab at every random joint.

·
GC/carpenter
43,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bone Saw said:
middle more detail on those rear dimensions would help
Bone, that is the one I like as well. I think that is the one I will recommend. :thumbsup: All the boards will be the same color, so the seams aren't going to be as conspicuous.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
ScipioAfricanus said:
Oh crap! Now I see the blue strips. Looks like the little bubble is pointing to the red ones. Andy.
Don't feel bad. I looked at it five times before I noticed the blue lines

My vote is number 2. I like symmetry.

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
I like number 3 the best out of the choices but I think I would move the left seam board over one post to the left. It gives it a better center between the door openings.

·
GC/carpenter
43,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
EricBrancard said:
I like number 3 the best out of the choices but I think I would move the left seam board over one post to the left. It gives it a better center between the door openings.
So your thinking move it to the left to the other part of the 45? ( Left as your facing the home correct? )

1 - 20 of 72 Posts