Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Pro
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Client just called me and he's bangin' around an idea. He's got two fireplaces in his new (1960's) house. Both fireplaces lead to one chimney. (Back to back) He's considering closing up one side so that he can make that room more of an entertainment center. How feasible is this? Each fireplace has it's own damper. What's involved with the fireplace? I can do the wall, floor, etc, but for a mason to do the fireplace...is it frowned upon, or how can it be done correctly?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
You can take the face off the fireplace and frame it in. The hearth might be a problem depending on the height they poured the hearth.

·
Pro
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can take the face off the fireplace and frame it in. The hearth might be a problem depending on the height they poured the hearth.
I didn't think about the hearth...but at least they want to close up the marble hearth side, not the other. Framing isn't my concern, its stopping the other side's soot, sparks, embers, etc. from falling back into the side I close up. It's got a damper, but that alone I don't trust 100% ...enough to just frame it closed and call it a day. I would assume that it needs to be sealed up top somehow... Or bricked over the front....I dunno...:blink:

·
Pro
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glue a piece of bluestone down on the top of the flue and frame it in I woudl say.
Crawl down the chimney like Santa and glue it in from the top?

Sorry for the sarcasm, but how in go*'s name am I supposed to glue it down from the top??

·
Pro
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Easy, hire a mason to inspect and perform the work
That's what I will do, but I don't have any relationships with masons around here, so I want to get an idea for what other masons would do in this scenario. I could call 20 different masons and get 20 different answers. I'd rather get 20 different answers here and call one to do what I like the best.

Wanna come down and take a look for me? I'll meet you there tomorrow 8:00 AM.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
That's what I will do, but I don't have any relationships with masons around here, so I want to get an idea for what other masons would do in this scenario. I could call 20 different masons and get 20 different answers. I'd rather get 20 different answers here and call one to do what I like the best.

Wanna come down and take a look for me? I'll meet you there tomorrow 8:00 AM.
Sure, I'll pm you my paypal account info.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Crawl down the chimney like Santa and glue it in from the top?

Sorry for the sarcasm, but how in go*'s name am I supposed to glue it down from the top??
Youll need a ladder, maybe a ridge hook. I can usually get to the top of 90% of most chimneys.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
This your best bet IMO. Hearth issues aside...

If you are concerned about sparks, ash, etc,etc from the other flue.... pack the damper with Roxul, then use metal studs and durock to close up the box. I would set it back and go over the Durock with sheetrock to blend into the walls.

But what do I know about that, I'm a mason.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
They share a chimney, not a flue. The sparks, embers soot etc... from one have nothing to do with the other.

I can't believe they want to close up the side that has the wood surround, and keep that other hideous thing

·
Eater of sins.
4,576 Posts
Ooh, interesting problem you have there. Not so much for the masonry solution but since you are in California and you are working on a wood burning fireplace, I wonder if the Building department would require you to make the other side non-wood burning. If the HO decides to get it permitted of course.

For those of you who may not know, California no longer allows wood burning fireplaces.
Gas or Propane only.
There are some exceptions I believe for some areas of some counties like in the mountains if it is free stander etc.

Andy.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
They share a chimney, not a flue. The sparks, embers soot etc... from one have nothing to do with the other.

I can't believe they want to close up the side that has the wood surround, and keep that other hideous thing
My suggestion was because I thought they shared a flue. Either way, he can stuff the damper ( to stop downdraft ) and finish as mentioned.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
I was commenting to the OP. Unless it's truly a double sided FP, and not just a back to back FP I can't see them sharing a flue. I know you, JBM and CJ say that in New England multiple fireplaces shared flues but that was 200 years ago. If they do share a flue there are problems

1 - 19 of 19 Posts