Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I sometimes use a conditioner for soft wood prior to staining but I have received advice to seal a fiberglass entry door from the salesman and the installer prior to staining. Is this correct advice? The only advice I got from the salesman was that any sealer will do. Fiberglass does not seem to have the pore structure as wood does. So I have doubts if the advice is correct. If I need to use a sealer, what type do I used? A sanding sealer or would a conditioner work?

·
Registered
40 Posts
What would you be sealing it from, it is not pourous.
I have stained many a fiberglass door and have never sealed them.
I do prime them, do you think that's what the salesman meant?
Or did he mean to seal the stain as in poly?
I am confused! :confused:
Were you in a big box store?
;)
Brenda

·
Banned
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Brenda,
I am not sure who should be confused, either the salesman or me. I can understand why a wood entry door would need to be sealed or conditioned prior to staining but a fiberglass door has either a tighter pore structure or none. So I do not understand why the salesman insists that the door be sealed, then stained, then a finish coat of poly put on. The salesman is the person I bought the door from. The door is manufactured by "Pella". It has a wood grain texture.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Maybe the salesman needs to explain why it needs to be sealed. I'd be interested to hear those comments.
So what process and product do you use for staining fiberglass doors?
Are these smooth or embossed grained doors?
Brenda
Brenda

·
Banned
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brenda,
The salesman will be visiting me on monday, so I'll ask again. The door is wood grained embossed and the only stain that is recommended is a gel stain. I wonder if he really means to use a sanding sealer so that the stain can adhere better. I know of two possible sealers to use. One is a product by "Minwax" which is a sanding sealer and another is by "Zinsser" which is a sealer only. Both of these do not mention if they are to be used with fiberglass doors.

·
Banned
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brenda,
The salesman will be visiting me on monday, so I'll ask again. The door is wood grained embossed and the only stain that is recommended is a gel stain. I wonder if he really means to use a sanding sealer so that the stain can adhere better. I know of two possible sealers to use. One is a product by "Minwax" which is a sanding sealer and another is by "Zinsser" which is a sealer only. Both of these do not mention if they are to be used with fiberglass doors on their websites. I like to use "MAB's" Timber stain tinted to red mahogany which is a very beautiful color. I am going to use it to stain the newly installed bay window. I also have a can of gel stain manufactured by MinWax.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts