Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a client at the beach whose property I maintain. I have stained and sealed the deck. I am going down in a few weeks to wash off things and do some touch up. Should I seal the deck again? Should it be done yearly?

The deck is already splintered because it had not been sealed until I did it a few years ago and it looks like it has slowed the aging process down. The fall is the best time to do it because the furniture is put up for the season and he only has two small pcs of furniture that would need to be stored temporarily while it is being applied.

Thoughts anyone?

·
Knowledgeable Tinter!
65 Posts
Consider sanding too...

If the deck is getting splintery on the walking surface, sand it down to "new" wood again! Especially if it's never been sanded...!

Remove ALL dust and re-stain. It'll look like new again, because all the degraded wood is now GONE...not just "cleaned-degraded" wood...

If you can, stain the underside and endcuts as well.
The more moisture you can keep out, the better!

Faron

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We have decided not to do anything right now. We are going to probably wait until spring. The boards are cracking and unfortunately some of the cracks are not just surface but all the way through. Some of them may actually need to be replaced.

I have never seen outside decks sanded down. Is that common? It is 2 X 6 decking. Is it like sanding a hardwood floor but taking out more I guess?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts