Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pergola rafter tail scroll work can be done a few different ways. I make a pattern with 3/8" plywood, trace the pattern on the tail, rough cut with band saw and jig saw, then clamp the pattern on the tail and use a big top bearing pattern forming bit (dog bones for anyone who catches the mistake in the photo of the pattern and router).

After routing, I clamp the rafters together and sand them as a group.

Attachments

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Pergola rafter tail scroll work can be done a few different ways. I make a pattern with 3/8" plywood, trace the pattern on the tail, rough cut with band saw and jig saw, then clamp the pattern on the tail and use a big top bearing pattern forming bit (dog bones for anyone who catches the mistake in the photo of the pattern and router).

After routing, I clamp the rafters together and sand them as a group.
I'd be bumping into the clamps.

·
Registered
60 Posts
As always great work Basswood. I always pick up something from your posts and print articles.

Neolitic, I had the same problem of bumping into the clamps when using this method on smaller profiles. Just shoot a few 23g pins to hold the template in place and you can pop the template right off when you are done.

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Neo,

I routed 20 rafter tails with that set up and never bumped into the c-clamps... the clearance is better than it looks. Making a longer template would allow the clamping farther from the scroll work, if you need more room. The 23 ga. pins work too.

Cheers,

Bass

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
shees ....im still lookin for the mistake:blink:
I'm thinking that bit only has a 1 1/4" cutter length........isn't that 2x stock?:blink: Bearing looks a little high on the baseplate too.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Maybe Bass had a problem with tearout. The pattern is on the opposite side of the tail in pic #2. Hmmm, that could have been a problem.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Maybe Bass had a problem with tearout. The pattern is on the opposite side of the tail in pic #2. Hmmm, that could have been a problem.
Bass? Waiting on the call......strike 3, or home run?:whistling

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dang! No third strike for you.:jester: Not good to start routing with the cutter spinning into the end-grain at the end of the rafter tail... and if the router is run toward the tip in the photo in question, then it would be climb cutting (something best avoided).

I set it up, took the pic, and went Doh! This isn't right... just turned the rafter over and clamped the pattern on the other side, and all is good.:thumbsup:

You win the dog bones.:w00t:

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Dang! No third strike for you.:jester: Not good to start routing with the cutter spinning into the end-grain at the end of the rafter tail... and if the router is run toward the tip in the photo in question, then it would be climb cutting (something best avoided).

I set it up, took the pic, and went Doh! This isn't right... just turned the rafter over and clamped the pattern on the other side, and all is good.:thumbsup:

You win the dog bones.:w00t:
:clap::clap::clap: Not bad for a window licker, only took three tries.:laughing:

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Argh! I was really enjoying the wood grain & knots & you just had to go and paint it, didn't you? I like the look of that house. The honeycomb shakes at the top look great. Pergola fits right in.
Can you show us how you made the port holes in the joists?
Steve

Here is the pergola:

·
Registered
711 Posts
I'm thinking that bit only has a 1 1/4" cutter length........isn't that 2x stock?:blink: Bearing looks a little high on the baseplate too.
You could easily flip it and use a bottom bearing bit, along the newly cut profile if that was the case, but it looks like he made it work:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts