Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Depends on what I'm scribing to. I use the fast cap, basic gold compass(one with a straight needle and one with a 90 degree bend on it), and I also have a razorscribe that I use for base. I'd love to have one of those Veritas log scribes for logs and stone, but they are pretty steep for the use I'd have for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26,147 Posts
Most of the time, it's a regular old grade school compass. I'll also use a 1" Stanley snap blade knife for some scribing.

·
Hack
3,008 Posts
Staedler compass with a bent needle, and an Accuscribe.

Sent from my Gravity 5 LTE using Tapatalk

·
GC/carpenter
40,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I saw a scribe that looked like a donut. The wheel comes in different sizes and had a hole in the middle for a pencil. Can't find it anywhere anymore.

Nice thing about it, is you don't have to worry about what part is married to your transfer peice, because it's round. I use them for making cut templates. Scribing 5/8" away from my fascia for my deck nosing.

·
GC/carpenter
40,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
26,147 Posts
I saw a scribe that looked like a donut. The wheel comes in different sizes and had a hole in the middle for a pencil. Can't find it anywhere anymore.
Probably because people do what I do - make one out of ply.

I also have made square ones - works the same way, but no spinning.

·
GC/carpenter
40,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Of the home made ones, I like the square wood piece with a hole in the center for a pencil best.
I'm reaching under a template blindly, the round makes no different what side of the scribe you're on.

·
GC/carpenter
40,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I needed to scribe this mdf 5/8" larger than the deck fascia radius. To do that I only had 3" between the ground and the template. So reaching under the mdf is a little more forgiving with a round scribe.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts