Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Screwed days

10K views 61 replies 42 participants last post by  FramingPro 
#1 ·
Any of you guys ever have a f**ked day where nothing you do seems to come out right?

A 10 minute task turns into an hour?

I had one the other day and wondered what other people do...

Do you power through it or go home and start fresh the next day?

#10 ·
If you've gotten to the point where you want to throw a tool...

( usually after several things have gone wrong and you either; blow a cut or hurt yourself somehow. )

You're overdue for a break.

Walk away from the site, taking deep purposeful breaths as you do.

Stop at some point in the yard.

Collect yourself:
(Meaning: tell yourself to leave what "just" happened, behind and focus on what "will" go right from that point forward)

Continue with the breathing rhythm as you walk back to your task.

Deep cleansing breath as you re-affirm your "walk".

Now you can power through.

I know this sounds like a bunch of "crystal wearing" vodoo, but this has worked for me more times than I can count.

I can count on one hand how many tools I have intentionally broken because of this "wall".

It happens to the best of us.

The trick is to recognize it and not let it escalate into an emotional "freak out".

The "freak out" may feel good for about 10 seconds, but chances are you destroy something worth more than 5-10mins of your time.

I.e.:

Tool, cell phone, windshield, relationship with employee...etc.

( Because after you've gotten the instant gratification of destroying something, rationality sets in and the first words that come to your mouth are: *****!
...something else to deal with.)

"My name is Scott and I have destroyed a couple things out of anger."

Way easier on the mind and more economical to take a 5 min walk.

#16 ·
Some times things are actually more complicated than you thought going into it. Going home and starting fresh on the same frustrating task a little bit poorer, one more day behind schedule and most likely hung over, does not seem like the best answer.

You should have asked "Do you still quite and quieting time or do you work late to make up for the parts of the day that didn't go well"

#17 · (Edited)
Had one of those last week. Couldn't get the crown mitres to work. Limited space above tile in a shower. Yes I know, crown around the the top of the shower? Client wanted it that way.

I ran my numbers six ways from Sunday- nope. What the heck? This is 101!
Drove out to get a coffee, came back and found the problem right away. The home owner got the crown from a different supplier than where I told him to go.

They mixed up two different sizes of crown in the order! Geez 3/8" difference in width. Some bast@@@ size I've never seen before.
Once I found that I re-ran the numbers, 51deg spring angle. Then everything
Went great.

4 hours shot to hell.

#20 ·
Had one of those last week. Couldn't get the crown mitres to work. Limited space above tile in a shower. Yes I know, crown around the the top of the shower? Client wanted it that way.

I ran my numbers six ways from Sunday- nope. What the heck? This is 101!
Drove out to get a coffee, came back and found the problem right away. The home owner got the crown from a different supplier than where I told him to go.

They mixed up two different sizes of crown in the order! Geez 3/8" difference in width. Some bast@@@ size I've never seen before.
Once I found that I re-ran the numbers, 51deg spring angle. Then everything
Went great.

4 hours shot to hell.
The ho bought the wrong stuff? There was this one time that happened to me every single time the ho provided materials.

#18 ·
Mrmac204 said:
I Do not like it when home owners get their own materials. 4 hours shot to hell.
That sux.

I've had different runs from the same supplier...

I hear you.

To the OP:

Sometimes the answer is right I'm front of you but you're to close to it.

Taking a step back, let's us re-evaluate the problem.

As mechanics, we are accustomed to certain "assumptions":

- All the trim is the same thickness.
- Computer matched paint "will match".
- 1/2" Hardie is 7/16+... Oh wait
Now it's 3/8"-
- The Home Centers won't change their layout every 6 months.

Hmmm.

This was about to turn into a b:tch response.

Sorry for the hyjack.

Anyways, a step back is a good thing.

#23 · (Edited)
For me:

Traffic still a b$#$#.
The new counter guy at supply house knows almost nothing.
The house key that was supposed to be there...wasn't.
Client wants another special order "small thing" last minute.
Some two-hour jobs turned into about a day and more for various reasons.
All packed up...then unloading tools again for "one more small thing".
Empty slot on the shelf at HD for the exact thing I need - again.
Simple dryer duct swap (end of day) and the hard pipe pulled out of the ceiling.
Swapping kitchen cab doors & drawers - missing one drawer front that I didn't catch in the order (I ordered it, but it didn't ship).
End of day "quick" toilet repairs: I needed "flush actuator" (old-style flapper) for an American Standard toilet. Couldn't locate it. Finally did (Danco generic at HD) and it turns out the foreign dimensions were off by a 1/16 or more shy so it wouldn't snap in place - naturally. A little part-swapping and I was out of there.

#24 ·
I've been in business for nearly 30 years and I can say that I have NEVER had one of those days...:whistling

Are you kidding me?????:laughing:

#27 ·
Just keep trucking, hoss.

Getting it done when the chips are down and everything is going wrong is what its all about. Separates the rock stars from the groupies.

Or do what JayDee or Tenon said. Ive done both. Lol

Reactions: tenon0774
#28 ·
For me it's generaly when I can't find something I know exists SOMEWHERE in the shop or the jobsite. When I get to the point of frustration I start organizing, shelves, files, drawers, the truck or tools. Gets my head clear and something done at the same time. Often I find what I was looking for. Or I remember as something jogs my memory.
A lot of the stuff that bothers most people I don't sweat much. I live on an laid back island where everything takes longer and more effort than normal.
Cheers, Jim

#29 ·
Once I get really frustrated every small issue turns into a big one and I start seeing problems where there are none yet. Power through does not work for me after it gets to that point because the only thing that gets accomplished is causing myself more work for when the head is back on straight.

An hour or so for a break for decent food is often enough- and when all else fails buy a new gee-whiz tool or gadget.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.