Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum.. I always screw my hardi board with tyvek or senco strip hardi-board screws. I have never used a nail for hardi board. I recently quoted a new construction job and the contractor used the framing crew to install the hardiboard to save some $. They used 1 1/2'' galvanized roofing nails on the 1/4'' hardi. Before I start the job I would like some input, are the nails just as good? Thanks for the input:censored:

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
48,931 Posts
What does the manufacturer say to use. Anything else will void the warranty.

·
MattMatt
65 Posts
I have always used screws as well, but the instructions say that a minimum 1 1/4" corrosion-resistant nail can also be used.

·
Carpe Diem
20,533 Posts
Galvanized roofing nails are allowed and used by many.

Very important to do what SLS said....embed in thinset :thumbsup:

·
Registered
323 Posts
If the hardibacker is set in thinset, then I wouldn't think you'd need much at all in the way of fasteners. That said, I wouldn't trust nails alone. Screws are far superior for this kind of application, and they will not allow the layers to separate over time under normal conditions.

·
Bathroom Remodeler
622 Posts
I've used liquid nail and roofing nails like an idiot for years....Can't say I really had any problems, but those were for investors that were selling homes, so I never followed up with the buyers. I'd be a little worried knowing what I do now!:rolleyes:

·
Contractor
4,708 Posts
I've used the roofing nailer for jobs large enough to warrant pulling out the compressor-it sure saves time and back soreness. Only drawback is getting the heads set 'just right'. I would personally think the screws are more secure-and they are not regular screws-the special coated ones. If I recall, its a acidity problem, that and sheetrock screws don't have the tensil strength the special hardi screws do.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I prefer to use a roofing nailer for the sake of speed. Screws do hold better in the subfloor but I question whether they are better than nails. When I have driven screws into backerboard I noticde a big difference between the grab a nail provides and a screw. When you drive a screw near the edge of the board it seems the board wants to pull up into the thread and once the screw approaches level with the board it seems the head just wants to break through without really holding. Whenever I hammer a nail in, whether by hand or with a gun, it seems to go in and hold better because of the head. I was very skeptical at first because I was always told to sell screws with hardibacker and such when I worked for Lowes. I now think it's a gimmick to get contractors to buy an $8 box of screws for every four sheets of board they put down. I'll stick with roofing nails. I haven't been doing it long but I have never had issues using them. Plus who wants to sit and screw a 500 sq ft job?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Bow to my tile guy

My tile guy prefers nail for the same reason Flooring Guy stated. He guarantees his installations for life. Never had a callback on one of his jobs from a related issue in 8 years, so I guess I'll let him have his way. I don't see anything wrong with screws, though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts