Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my DeWalt 272w finally died on me. I was considering just replacing it but I wanted to see what else was out there. I think I’ve got a decent list but was wondering if you guys had some input.

I’ve never worked with the collated guns much except for a few hours with an old senco. I liked the 1 handed operation for the lids but didn’t like that if something went a little funky couldn’t use it to drive the screw a little deeper. I’ve heard that after awhile they start to lose their accuracy and I’m not sure if the cost of getting one or the increased price of screws is worth the trouble if its not going to last that long. So here’s what I got.

Makita 6824na (this one comes with the 50’ cord)

Seems like a good all around gun. Basically Makita’s version of the DeWalt imo.
- Light weight
- Metal nose cone
- 4,500 rpm
- 6.5 amps

Makita 6825

Looks to be about the same gun as the 6824 except for the 6,000 rpm. Sounds like that might be great for wood but I’d be a little worried when we go over tin foil framing (25 gage stuff). Anyone tried it?

Hilti SD 4500

One of the more expensive guns but has good stats and you can get the SMD 57 magazine to make it auto feed. But $100 for the gun and another $100 for the attachment sounds like a lot of it can’t hold up to the abuse and stay accurate for a long time.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have liked every makita gun I've used but I think the hilti is nice because it can run both, collated and regular. Obviously you like your makita Capt, what model is it?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think makita has a good product. I used to be a die-hard DeWalt guy until I tried someone’s cordless Makita set. I was sold pretty quick, I've switched over but I'm still waiting for a cordless router from makita, and a gun with an option to auto feed screws like Hilti would be nice too... until then it looks like hilti is the way to go for the happy middle ground for auto feed and regular.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.