Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my DeWalt 272w finally died on me. I was considering just replacing it but I wanted to see what else was out there. I think I’ve got a decent list but was wondering if you guys had some input.

I’ve never worked with the collated guns much except for a few hours with an old senco. I liked the 1 handed operation for the lids but didn’t like that if something went a little funky couldn’t use it to drive the screw a little deeper. I’ve heard that after awhile they start to lose their accuracy and I’m not sure if the cost of getting one or the increased price of screws is worth the trouble if its not going to last that long. So here’s what I got.

Makita 6824na (this one comes with the 50’ cord)

Seems like a good all around gun. Basically Makita’s version of the DeWalt imo.
- Light weight
- Metal nose cone
- 4,500 rpm
- 6.5 amps

Makita 6825

Looks to be about the same gun as the 6824 except for the 6,000 rpm. Sounds like that might be great for wood but I’d be a little worried when we go over tin foil framing (25 gage stuff). Anyone tried it?

Hilti SD 4500

One of the more expensive guns but has good stats and you can get the SMD 57 magazine to make it auto feed. But $100 for the gun and another $100 for the attachment sounds like a lot of it can’t hold up to the abuse and stay accurate for a long time.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
89 Posts
hilti 4500 replast 4000. it was a better gun . smoother, i have dewalt 4000 noul its the best gun . never had no luck wheth eny self feed gun. extra cost i dont need . i can not screw off as fast as self lodeing gun ,but never hang enough rock at one time to mater

·
Jeff
1,485 Posts
I've got the hilti, really have no idea how many screws ive ran through it but its been alot over the last 6 years or so. Only problem ive ever had was sometimes the strips would hang up and not advance. It seemed to be more of a strip problem than a gun problem. Happens on say 1 out of ever 100 strips.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hilti any day. Have been using the SF4000A and SMD57 for quite a while now. Can't beat it.
About to invest in the new SF5000A 22V.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have liked every makita gun I've used but I think the hilti is nice because it can run both, collated and regular. Obviously you like your makita Capt, what model is it?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I started out with a dewalt corded gun - except for the short cord I was pretty happy with it as it kept going and going.

I wanted to go collated so looked into the quick-drive system and compared it to makita and hilti. I would have tried the makita but it looked like the nose wouldn't come off if you needed to back out a screw. I chose to go with a corded hilti because the screws were cheaper, the strips held more screws, and the system got good reviews on this forum(slightly better than Makita). I might have gone cordless too but neither Hilti or Makita make a cordless router to accompany their cordless guns.

I've got the SD4500 with 50ft cord and the SMD57 attachment. Overall I find the gun very light weight compared to my dewalt and the collated system works well enough if you keep an eye on the depth. You can't beat it on ceilings! I use the one gun for screwing off sheets and also have two dewalt cordless guns and two cordless routers(1/4",and 1/8" bits), that way there's only one cord to worry about. I might have gone hilti cordless as well but they don't make routers and dewalt just has two many other wonderful tools compatible with their batteries. I wish the SMD57 fit my dewalt cordless guns though.

Hey TonyM, wouldn't it be great if hilti made a cordless router and you could run it and your SF4000 off the same belt-clipped battery!

Check this vid http://www.grabberman.com/SuperDrive/Media/DryWallToMetal1.wmv of guys holstering both a gun and a router tied to one extension cord in the back. Pretty cool. Anyone know how/where they rewired their cords like that?

D'S

·
Designer/Contractor
4,816 Posts
It's been a while but we were using the Senco with the collated strips and it worked really well. It was so nice not to have to load each screw and it countersunk them perfectly and the battery seemed to hold the charge well. We also had a Milwaukee drywall screw gun that had a cord and that worked well also but the Senco was the one that was the fastest by far.

·
Registered
322 Posts
i dont like the makita, its just doesnt fit in my hand right.
This debate has been going on for years, but the guy with the makita ALWAYS drives more screws than the guy with the Dewalt, ALWAYS.

The model I have now is the cheapest one they make (have to go to the truck to get the model #) It still drives em faster and better than Dewalts most exspensive gun,

But don't take my word for it, just get someone that uses a makita and pay attention, at the end of the day, you'll have to say, dern they drove more screws with less "hangs" than me,,, and I hate that, cause I just love to LOVE a Dewalt!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think makita has a good product. I used to be a die-hard DeWalt guy until I tried someone’s cordless Makita set. I was sold pretty quick, I've switched over but I'm still waiting for a cordless router from makita, and a gun with an option to auto feed screws like Hilti would be nice too... until then it looks like hilti is the way to go for the happy middle ground for auto feed and regular.

·
Registered
223 Posts
makita is the best gun out there, if your using a dewalt, you either haven't tried a makita, or you just REFUSE to change.
I bought a Makita because I didn't want to spend the money on a Hilti. Big mistake! Constant jamming and leaving screws proud. POS. Got my money back and forked out for the Hilti. Wouldn't entertain any other make now.

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
i have a makita, love it only one i find better is the milwaukee... of the models ive used.

ive used several dewalts and cant stand them then angle of the handle doesnt feel right and their hard to get into corners, besides the guys i know who have em seem to have to replace them almost as often as olfa blades

·
Registered
322 Posts
I bought a Makita because I didn't want to spend the money on a Hilti. Big mistake! Constant jamming and leaving screws proud. POS. Got my money back and forked out for the Hilti. Wouldn't entertain any other make now.

Yeah, and I bet you convinced your dog to be a vegitarian too!!!

But hey, its your lie, you can tell it as big as you want too

Peace

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yeah, and I bet you convinced your dog to be a vegitarian too!!!

But hey, its your lie, you can tell it as big as you want too

Peace
LMAO :laughing:

Whatever you say, Banjo boy.
LMAO :laughing:

The last 3 I've bought was Dewalt all 3 were turds. I'll have to watch this thread since I'm looking to get a new one now. :thumbsup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts