Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
master hacker of wood
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey people's ,

I need some ideas for some screened in porch , the ceilings are tall, but I was thinking cedar grids kinda like 9 lite window grids at the top. Too bring it down a little.

I'm using cedar but the vinyl track that nails on.

Oh and the trim they have is some osb with wood grain embossed in anyone have a name for that crap?

Any pics of ideas in use?

I'll get some pics ASAP

Thanks F2F

·
master hacker of wood
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a track you run the screen on and snap a cover over it. I used it years ago pretty clean looking job.

·
Registered
12,931 Posts
There is Screen Tight and Screen Eze. Both work well. The Screen Eze is a much narrower profile.

With Screen Tight you have to spline the screen, with Screen Eze, you do not use a spline

Tom

·
Registered
477 Posts
72" wide for Vertical vents, after that you start getting into twins and triples. 108" for 2 vent sliders.

You can check out CWS for more info, if you don't see the info you need just let me know.

·
Every now and then poster
13,436 Posts
I use screen tight almost exclusively now. I like the Double track. I tack the screen tight into the outside and then stretch the bejesus out of it with the inner one.

Only system we have ever used which can be installed by one person.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
I use screen tight almost exclusively now. I like the Double track. I tack the screen tight into the outside and then stretch the bejesus out of it with the inner one.

Only system we have ever used which can be installed by one person.
That's a very good idea Matt. Really looking forward to trying that on our next install. Do you just cut a few short pieces of spline for the tack piece?

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
I've used Screen Tight a lot. It's a nice system but you're left with their color choices. If it's on white trim it disappears but it would be pretty conspicuous with that cream color.

Regardless of the system you have a few challenges to deal with. The posts will need a filler to bring out the plane to the trim at the top and bottom(pretty easy) and the spacing between the posts will need either a solid, or a screen fill(pretty tough). You also have a really nice entrance right now but partitioning it off and adding a screen door would hurt the aesthetics in my opinion.

If the budget can handle it I would recommend a railing section be added to the short side and then the sides get a full screen with a seam hidden behind the handrail. The two front sections I would price with retractable screens. A door would be more useful but that patio was designed to be open.

·
master hacker of wood
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yea I've been figuring out the door or doors, I did tell him it should flow in case he had a party or whatever,

Where can I find a retractable door system?

Yea the in between post are gonna be fun I'll make the panel slide in,

They have little kids and they want a railing but for some reason I see them kicking it out or running thru it!
I'm thinking mission lattice around the bottom!

·
master hacker of wood
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Can't get any info for the retractable doors, gonna have too find a new place that's still open.

They like what I drew now just too sell them on price.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts