Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had any experience with the Spin Screed? We are having hell finding decent reliable concrete finishers, and I think I will start getting my guys back on concrete work.....

I am thinking the 22 foot tube and maybe the 12.....

https://www.spinscreed.com/

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I looked at them a bit, I didn't like that you would need to set up screed rails for it.

We run almost all our floors with a laser and/or pins and wet pads.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The screed rail system that Marshaltown sells uses plastic chairs and a 1/4 inch by 2 inch hot rolled bar....easy to fill the void, and half the time, the chairs come up when you lift the bar.

·
Super Moderator
23,785 Posts
I have seen that system, or one very similar to it in action.

Setup was a little temperamental but most likely due to the crew not being real familiar with the system.

They had a difficult time pulling the rails/chairs and filling the voids left behind.

Not sure if it was all inexperience. There seemed to be a lack of leadership on this crew.

Also a guy had to get right on washing the rails & chairs that came out, lots more work if you waited a tad too long.

If you go that route have multiple pieces of extra parts that may be needed, especially chairs.

IMO, with a little experience and patience could be a pretty good system to use.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I have seen that system, or one very similar to it in action.

Setup was a little temperamental but most likely due to the crew not being real familiar with the system.

They had a difficult time pulling the rails/chairs and filling the voids left behind.

Not sure if it was all inexperience. There seemed to be a lack of leadership on this crew.

Also a guy had to get right on washing the rails & chairs that came out, lots more work if you waited a tad too long.

If you go that route have multiple pieces of extra parts that may be needed, especially chairs.

IMO, with a little experience and patience could be a pretty good system to use.
I've been on a job where they screeded off of rails, honestly it felt extremely outdated and way too much work for the application.

Maybe if you are going for record breaking FF numbers or something, but for most work it's really hard to beat a laser and wet screed pads.

·
Registered
668 Posts
We used to screed off rails all the time on wide pours (used steel pipe) till lasers became mainstream. Where a screed such as mentioned comes in real handy is when you are pouring strips and have a slab or form to run off of.

Never used a roller style, but poured many acres of flat work with a truss style vibratory rig.

·
Registered
779 Posts
We bought the Multi-quip vibratory one man screed with a 12' rod and just love it. But, it must be used on a slab or level surface. It will not screed properly on an incline.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ordered the Spin Screed with 22 and 12 foot pipes. Will know pretty soon.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I ordered the Spin Screed with 22 and 12 foot pipes. Will know pretty soon.
Sorry I didn't see this sooner. I know a guy with one for sale. Barely used. He thinks it's the greatest thing ever. Just to the point he doesn't do concrete anymore.

I have the Morrision truss screed. I'm going to sell it also. Could have sold it 10 times already, but it doesn't have hydraulic winches. Of course that makes it $7,000 cheaper.

Just last week, I saw the State pouring patches. They were using the roller screed.

From what I hear, you will like it.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine is in, I haven't picked it up yet. Probably use it next week, all goes well. The problem, still top on the list, is labor. No one can find anyone wanting to work.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
We have been using the spin screed for 10+years. It certainly made it possible for less experienced guys to place and screed. Like anything though we got way better at it after a couple years. IMO the 22’ will sag a bit, it’s just to long. We probably have 10 different lengths of pipe.

So we started out for many years using 2” pipe and it worked but it took hand work to fill the void. Then we switched to the 1/4”” bar. The bar can be filled with a bull float and can be set continuously which is cool. The bar will destroy your screed though if it is pulled in the same spot. It will leave a groove in your pipe before long.

I think the best technique is steady bumping an arms length and then go back and a slow pull.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts