Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
master hacker of wood
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what has to be done to them?

I put them on Craigslist but it seems the price you put is always more than someone wants to pay.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
The price is always more than someone wants to pay. Everywhere, every time. How about saying, "The price is $1,000. If you want to negotiate the price, it is $1,500."

I have no idea what has to be done to them for salvage. I do know it is a lot easier to have somebody give you 300 to 400 dollars and they tow them away. You may loose out on a little money, but the problem trucks are instantly gone and you don't have to lift a finger.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
You can find a charity to donate them to, and take book value, or a number the charity assigns them from your taxes. Helps a good cause, and helps your bottom line. If you need the deduction. If you don't, ebay auction, let it go no reserve and be done with it.

·
master hacker of wood
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys,

I figured they were worth 3-400 a piece so that's where I put them at and still people say what's your real price lol

Craigslist kills me,

If its not how much it's will you trade!

I have an old garden tractor that blew the head gasket. I got more calls on that thing.

This one guy wants to trade a cb base station, I said dude that would of been nice in the 70's
He then sends all the specs.
Ok how about a chain saw, I said send a pic and I'll see, bad move
I already have a pro 036 I figured I'd flip his but instead of sending a pic, he calls and calls
Every couple minutes from two different lines even.
I was gonna call him back but when I seen my phone blown up I said screw him. Wanna bet he calls today!

I even left all the accessories on my truck but I guess only I like them lol

Attachments

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
call a bunch of "we tow junk cars" places and get the best price. I totalled my 2000 Silverado Ext cab over the summer (looks like the same size and weight of your truck) and I got $400 cash and they came and towed it away for me. and that was totaled. your truck is in good shape so it's worth more.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
like i said, call around to a bunch of different ones and mix and match with your 4 vehicles if you have to. cause some of them just crush and melt them for the metal, and some break them down and sell off the parts. so the ones that are in nicer condition and running and all that you'll get a better price from the ones that sell off the parts and the ones that are total junk you'll get more from the crush guys.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Craigslist kills me,

In a few different states, I've found craigslist to be mostly like an internet rummage sale, but one where people's expenditure of energy is limited to sitting on their couch, so they have even less invested.

And I think a lot of people out there either don't have money or what little they have, aren't spending it.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Thanks guys,

I figured they were worth 3-400 a piece so that's where I put them at and still people say what's your real price lol

Craigslist kills me,

I have an old garden tractor that blew the head gasket. I got more calls on that thing.

This one guy wants to trade a cb base station, I said dude that would of been nice in the 70's
He then sends all the specs.
Ok how about a chain saw, I said send a pic and I'll see, bad move
I already have a pro 036 I figured I'd flip his but instead of sending a pic, he calls and calls
Every couple minutes from two different lines even.
I was gonna call him back but when I seen my phone blown up I said screw him. Wanna bet he calls today!

I even left all the accessories on my truck but I guess only I like them lol
You'd probably do better if you knocked the leaves off and take a shot. That truck doesn't look too bad.

For scrapping, some yards might require draining all the fluids, and sometimes bring the tires home with you, or they'll deduct money.
Don't forget about the catalytic convertors, some are worth well over $100.00 a piece.

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
To scrap an automobile here are the general rules:

1) must have the title (there are legal workarounds but its a headache)

2) remove the toxic stuff (gas tank, batterry, fluids) leave oil pan tranny pan off for inspection

3) remove radiator, cat converters. These sell @ scrap for ALOT. On the radiator cut the core out (the piece w/fins)

4)Remove all tire lug nuts except 1/wheel. You cant scrap rubber, so once @ the yard they'll use a forklift to raise it off ground for tire removal.

It takes maybe an hour or two to do these preps, but a truck brings in about $300 & regular 4 dr sedan $200. Plus you get bonus $$ for the radiator/cat converter.

Easy peasy. That's why the scrappers are lowballing you. If they pay you $200 for a truck, they're lucky to sell it for $400. Thats at best $200 to haggle, pick it up, prep it, & sell it.

·
master hacker of wood
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys,

Clean the leaves off lol, nah not for scrap. Im not

I'm thinking they can rot up there for all the hassle they are!

I got guys that want just certain parts now lol

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,802 Posts
To scrap an automobile here are the general rules:

1) must have the title (there are legal workarounds but its a headache)

2) remove the toxic stuff (gas tank, batterry, fluids) leave oil pan tranny pan off for inspection

3) remove radiator, cat converters. These sell @ scrap for ALOT. On the radiator cut the core out (the piece w/fins)

4)Remove all tire lug nuts except 1/wheel. You cant scrap rubber, so once @ the yard they'll use a forklift to raise it off ground for tire removal.

It takes maybe an hour or two to do these preps, but a truck brings in about $300 & regular 4 dr sedan $200. Plus you get bonus $$ for the radiator/cat converter.

Easy peasy. That's why the scrappers are lowballing you. If they pay you $200 for a truck, they're lucky to sell it for $400. Thats at best $200 to haggle, pick it up, prep it, & sell it.
Around here you don't even have to have the title, the one yard wants the fluids dropped is all, tires can be on. think the last old truck scrapped out got little over 300 for it, Pulled radiator and battery though.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Thanks guys,

Clean the leaves off lol, nah not for scrap. Im not

I'm thinking they can rot up there for all the hassle they are!

I got guys that want just certain parts now lol
Not clean off the leaves to scrap, but if you're trying to craigslist it. But I agree, sometimes it easier just to scrap stuff rather than going through the pain trying to sell it.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
In a few different states, I've found craigslist to be mostly like an internet rummage sale, but one where people's expenditure of energy is limited to sitting on their couch, so they have even less invested.
I've found the same to be true when trying to hire guys through craigslist.

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,802 Posts
another to to consider is if you depreciated it out then the more you get out of selling it the more that kind of needs to be added back in when doing taxes.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
another to to consider is if you depreciated it out then the more you get out of selling it the more that kind of needs to be added back in when doing taxes.
Sell it to a friend for 1$, then have him give it to the scrap yard, give him 50$ and keep the profit, not sure if its legal but you have saved yourself the tax problem :D

·
Registered
77 Posts
Whenever ive got rid of anything on CL, i always add at least 25% to the asking price. Sometimes more on bigger items. Then they can talk you down by 25%. You get what you wanted and they think they got a deal.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts