Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In connection with screaning in my carport I need to re-paint the eave on the end. The paint is flaking and peeling on about 50% of the trim (facia?). How hard am I supposed to be scraping the paint? Do I just use a modest amount of effort and remove the paint that comes off fairly easily or should I be really scraping hard, tearing at it with the edge of the scraper, trying to rip off anything and everything that will come?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hard enough to get any paint that is not adhereing properly but not so hard that you are gouging the wood. I always feather sand afterwards, to minimize the edges.

·
Painting Contractor
1,881 Posts
PipeGuy said:
In connection with screaning in my carport I need to re-paint the eave on the end. The paint is flaking and peeling on about 50% of the trim (facia?). How hard am I supposed to be scraping the paint? Do I just use a modest amount of effort and remove the paint that comes off fairly easily or should I be really scraping hard, tearing at it with the edge of the scraper, trying to rip off anything and everything that will come?

Scrape enough to end up with a sound surface. When the edges of the
flaking paint don't lift any more if that makes any sense. If you need it
to look OK sand a bit after. We had great results using ICI's Gripper
after for primer. It makes a surface out of a bad one and it levels great.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
George Z said:
When the edges of the
flaking paint don't lift any more if that makes any sense. If you need it
to look OK sand a bit after.
Thanks guys. That helps a lot. I guess what was bothering me is the edges of the paint. Once the loose stuff came off I didn't know if I should be picking and scraping (gouging) at the sound edges - trying to pry off more paint. I'll do a litlle sanding like you suggest. Thanks again. Back out to the ladder. :Thumbs:

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
The water pressure from a pressure washer will usually seperate the loose stuff with minimal effort.
I prefer to continue stripping with a commercial stripper as opposed to sanding. You apply it with a brush or roller and powerwash off. Leaves a nice, clean and level surface.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sounds like a fun way to enjoy the nice weather on a Sunday afternoon Pipeguy! :) ...I agree with all the other replys...Good luck
Sherry

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I HATE PAINTING! URGH! How does anyone stand to do this for a living? Do you have special genetically altered helpers that can scrape paint for more than 3 minutes at a time without hurling themselves to the ground in madness? Do you take some kind of drug that makes you unaware of bees and wasps so you're not nearly startled off the ladder, or otherwise drop your tools, every 2 minutes? How do you keep your brush from turning into something that looks like it was used to spread pitch on the hull of a 17th century ship? Good grief I wish I could afford to pay someone to do this stuff.
What makes it even worse is that whenever I paint something, no matter how conscientious and careful I am, when others survey my handiwork I just want to scream "NO - I CAN"T AFFORD TO HIGHER A PAINTER!" or "I DON'T DO THIS FOR A LIVING YOU KNOW!" :eek:

C

·
0 Posts
Pipe
I share your feelings about painting, I Hate it, I would rather smack my thum with a hammer all day than paint.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Rich, I guess that this expains why so many painters are drunks/druggies.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
George, I like to paint because it requires concentration and forces me to take my mind off of other things but I certainly couldn't do it for a living. I actually like the cut-in. Dad taught me how to make razor sharp edges/transfers.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I cant help but laugh at PipeGuy....Ive heard this so many times before...So lets just say that being able to paint is a gifted talent!! It is a passion for me...I love it! ;)
Just relax and take your time Pipe, im sure it will look ok when completed!

·
"Buy Quality, Cry Once"
726 Posts
I'm actually allergic to stings so I had to fabricate a "holster" to carry spray with me, I also keep an epi-pen handy.

My wife insisted she wanted to paint our bathroom. I said ok, but if you start you finish. After 4 weeks on a 3 day IMO project shes exasperated. Says you know I would gladly pay $600 to have this done.

It still amazes me when at times I go to price a job, and the customer acts like this is not a skilled trade.And like my price should reflect this. I have also gone into homes where the owner attempted to do the work and its a disaster. I love those jobs and the prices they fetch. :cheesygri

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
don, here, painters are contractors. License starts SPC..... Painting is now turning into an artform, wish that I had taken photos of marbleized walls in a home that I was recently in.
I have also been in 2 homes within the last week where the owners ragged the walls every bit as well as any pro job that I have ever seen.

·
Registered
36 Posts
This thread is cracking me up. Once I went to estimate a small job on a finished attic, I was working in the development and the people were really nice so I gave them a great deal. They told me they could not afford it, I was polite and wished them luck. About a month later they call me and just said "Help." I was instructed to do the work and just bill when I was done. Turned out tio be a very profitable job. Lesson is painting isn't as easy as it looks.

B

·
0 Posts
PipeGuy said:

If you prefer not to sand, I used a product called Peal Away. It available at Sherwin Wms. Follow the instructions with product. The longer it sits, the better it works. The instructions state it will take off up to 30 coats of paint. If you use this product, put on some extra gloves. It is caustic. I let it sit 3 days before removing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts